Applicants need to be registered social workers with 2 full years post qualifying experience in social work prior to the start of the course and demonstrate that they are practising at BASW (2018) PCF Experienced Social Worker level.
Months of entry
The Postgraduate Award in Professional Development: Social Work Education, is designed to provide you with a framework in becoming a Practice Educator.
The course will enable you to advance your skills in providing an effective learning environment. You will be given the opportunity to supervise, teach and assess social work degree students who are on placement and to demonstrate your competence in meeting the 4 domains of the Practice Educator Professional Standards for Social Work (PEPS).
The course provides a continuous professional development framework for social care professionals. Graduates from this programme will be highly competitive candidates for further postgraduate study at MSc, MPhil and PhD level.
- A blended learning experience to enable you to engage in face to face teaching and virtual learning, alongside your busy practice
- Develop fundamental skills required in Practice Education including adult teaching theory, effective supervision, constructing feedback and assessment principles
- Contemporary theory combined with the competencies needed to undertake complex practice and advance your practice in relation supporting and developing others
- Modules to develop and challenge your critical reflection, critique and synthesis to inform evidence-based practice
- Opportunities to explore social work values and develop innovative thinking in a supported environment
- Develop and demonstrate your competence and capability at an enhanced level
- Opportunities to evidence your continued professional development as required by Social Work England
Recognising that you are likely to be studying alongside social work practice you will engage in blended learning methods. You will be taught through a combination of interactive workshops, lectures, seminars and online sessions. Throughout the programme, you will benefit from an integration of both innovative and traditional teaching methods. Your learning will be supported by the University’s virtual learning environment. You will have individual access to electronic journals, content-rich study guides, and interactive online learning materials formative online assessments and group discussion forums.
For the Practice Educator modules you will be working alongside social work students and you will be assessed by an experienced Practice Educator qualified at Stage 2 of the Practice Educator Professional Standards for Social Work, Practice Educator mentor or assessor.
Pebblepad online portfolios are used to give you the opportunity to evidence your competencies. You will complete reflective essays, allowing you to evaluate and analysis your social work practice.
Qualification, course duration and attendance options
- PG Award
- part time24 months
- Distance learningis available for this qualification
Course contact details
- Diane Asamoah
- 01905 855111