Visit the institution website for COVID‑19 updates
This course is based around professional practice and is only open to applicants who are engaged in outdoor education and have the opportunity and relevant permission to conduct research in the work place.
Students must normally have a 2:1 classification in a related degree. Students who hold a related degree with a classification of either 2:2 (or below), or an unrelated degree will be considered on a case by case basis and may be required to submit a portfolio of evidence to demonstrate outdoor education experience.
Months of entry
The MA in Outdoor Education is a postgraduate qualification designed around the needs of outdoor professionals. It helps them to explore the theory and practice of outdoor education and to relate it to their own practice.
The course can be studied from the workplace or from home, and outdoor professionals can choose the amount of study that fits their circumstances.
The MA in Outdoor Education is supported by online seminars, online resources, action-learning groups and one-to-one tutorials. At the heart of the programme are the Work-Based Projects, which are negotiated with the tutor and allow outdoor professionals to gain enhanced knowledge, skills and expertise in their field.
- Students can develop in-depth knowledge, and a critical awareness of current problems and/or new insights at the forefront of outdoor education study or professional practice.
- Students use reflective learning to integrate their professional expertise and academic study to develop new areas of professional practice.
- An adaptable course programme which offers bespoke support for individual student needs
- Students are encouraged to explore a range of learning areas in their Work-Based Projects and Dissertation. These might include:
- teaching and learning in the outdoors;
- organisational and strategic management;
- personal development and experiential learning;
- environmental and aesthetic aspects of practice;
- international approaches to outdoor education;
- safety and risk management;
- topics related to specific outdoor activities.
See the course page on the University of Worcester website for more information: https://www.worcester.ac.uk/courses/outdoor-education-ma
Where could it take you?
Students undertake this course for a variety of reasons and these are reflected in their career trajectories during the course and after the graduation. Current students use their engagement in the MA in Outdoor Education to support applications for promotion or for moves between employers. Recent graduates have used their MA in Outdoor Education to seek higher education teaching posts and to support the development of new areas of work.
Qualification, course duration and attendance options
- part time24 months
- Campus-based learningis available for this qualification
Course contact details
- 01905 855111