Visit the institution website for COVID‑19 updates
About University of York
Global reputation and research excellence
- The University of York is a prestigious Russell Group university with a global reputation for inspirational and life-changing research.
- We hold 12 Athena Swan awards, including two Gold awards for our chemistry and biology departments.
- We are ranked in the world top 50 for Arts and Humanities and the top 100 for social sciences (Times Higher Education World University Rankings 2019)
- York was ranked 10th for research impact, based on the most recent UK Research Excellence Framework (REF 2014)*.
- Eight of the University’s academic departments were ranked in the top five for their subject while 12 were in the top ten in terms of research impact*.
*Times Higher Education 2014 - excluding specialist institutions which submitted fewer than four units of assessment
- Our beautiful, green, self-contained campus is located just outside York city centre and offers world-class teaching and learning spaces and an excellent environment to live and learn
- The University is located in the historic city of York, which is regularly named one of the best places to live and visit in the UK and was ranked as the Best Place to live in Britain by The Sunday Times in 2018
- It is also ranked as the safest city-based university in England and Wales in The Complete University Guide 2019
- York is a great base from which students can explore the UK, starting with the stunning scenery of Yorkshire. Great rail and transport networks mean that other major cities including Leeds, Manchester and London are just a short train ride away
- As a campus-based university, students get the best of both worlds. Students can explore the cultural offerings of a thriving city whilst being part of an exciting student community on campus
- The University of York is one of only a few UK universities to have a college system. Postgraduate students can become members of the postgraduate-only Wentworth College, a hub for postgraduate activity
- Colleges are more than just on-campus accommodation. They provide students with a welcoming and supportive environment in which to meet new people
Study at York
- The university offers over 250 undergraduate degrees as well as postgraduate taught and research degrees across sciences, arts and humanities, and social sciences
- We are home to a large number of world-renowned research institutes, centres and facilities, which act as a focus for interdisciplinary research
- Students will study with leading academics carrying out pioneering research
- Our extensive university library offers dedicated postgraduate study spaces and facilities, and is open 24/7
- York Graduate Research School supports a community of more than 2,000 research students, working across departments, ensuring high-quality supervision and training
- Our online and distance learning courses provide an alternative method of learning, allowing students to study flexibly, anywhere in the world
- Free, short online courses are also available through the University of York known as MOOCS, which offer a short, interactive, higher education experience
- Postgraduate taught students have access to our employer and recruiter networks and development and training opportunities
- Our research students are supported by the Research Excellence Training Team, providing a range of courses and workshops to develop skills and support your career planning
- 94 per cent of York research students reported being in work and/or further study six months after completing their course (HESA, Destination of Leavers from Higher Education Survey 2016/17, UK/EU graduates)
- York provides a range of opportunities for postgraduate students to meet, collaborate and share ideas and interests. For example, the Humanities Research Centre is a thriving inspirational hub for interdisciplinary research and postgraduate life in the arts and humanities
- There are more than 200 student societies to get involved in and over 65 sports clubs for hobbyists and sports enthusiasts of all abilities
- Students will feel at home in our inclusive campus with a diverse international community of more than 18,000 students from over 140 countries
- York has a sports centre and a Sports Village featuring a range of modern sports facilities
- York campus is full of interesting places for shopping, eating and drinking. There is a range of cafes and supermarkets on campus, where students can get groceries and university merchandise
- Our network of support services such as the Student Hub, provide easy access to help and support.
- The Graduate Students’ Association (GSA) offers professional, confidential and specialist advice to all postgraduate students. They also run regular social and sporting events, the largest postgraduate welcome week in the UK and a number of postgraduate networks.
- Hear from our taught postgraduate and research student bloggers
Fees and funding
- There are a range of tuition fees and funding opportunities for postgraduate study and research at York
- There are also a range of postgraduate awards available. We offer scholarships supported through generous donations from Alumni as well as several departmental scholarships
- Whether you're applying for a masters or a research degree the application process at York couldn't be simpler
- The University of York International Pathway College provides a route for international students to certain undergraduate Bachelors and postgraduate Masters degrees
- Social media accounts