About University of York
In less than 50 years, York has become one of the top universities in the UK and is consistently ranked in the top 100 universities in the world. Recent years have seen a period of significant growth for the University. We have invested in 20 new buildings on the existing campus and completed the first phase of a £750m campus expansion. Our investment in new colleges, teaching and learning space, laboratories, research facilities and a new sport village mean it has never been a better time to join our student body or research groups at York.
- A very high-quality academic experience
- Research activity at national and international levels of excellence
- A strong reputation for student support
- A lively and stimulating environment
- A beautiful location in one of Europe’s finest cities
- In 2012 York became a member of prestigious Russell Group
- A Graduate Students’ Association (GSA) offering professional, confidential and specialist advice and opportunities to postgraduate students.
- Excellent information, relevant training and development resources and access to careers support planning for research students in our Researcher Development Team
Virtual Open Days
- Chat online with academic staff from our departments
- Watch talks on financing your studies and student life or watch a 'taster' lecture
- Speak to our accommodation, admissions and student support teams
- Talk to current students and applicants in our student lounge.
The staff were incredibly helpful.
The event was so easy to access and I received quick and helpful answers to all my questions!Virtual Open Day attendees
Upcoming Subject Events
From March to July, many of our departments organise subject-specific events about postgraduate study at York. You'll have the opportunity to chat online with academic and support staff as well as current students from our academic departments and find out what it's like to study at York.
Study at York
We have a range of taught and research programmes in arts and humanities, science and engineering and social sciences. You are likely to find yourself studying in one of the country’s top-rated departments: our departments have had some of the highest ratings for the quality of their teaching. Excellence in teaching is supported by excellence in research.
The university is ranked in the top ten in the UK for research impact in the recent Research Exercise Framework.
Eight of the university’s academic departments were ranked in the top five for their subject while 12 were in the top ten in terms of research impact.
Over 14,000 students currently study at York, and of those around 3,000 are on a postgraduate course or research programme. This makes for a diverse postgraduate community supported by our college system. This provides a ready-made cross-disciplinary social network and 24/7 welfare support. Postgraduates at York are members of the graduate college, Wentworth which is the hub for all graduate activity in the university.
There are a range of postgraduate awards offered at the University of York from scholarships directly funded by the University to those funded by UK Research Councils. There are also scholarships supported through generous donations from Alumni as well as a number of other smaller schemes. The types, funding and numbers of awards for postgraduate students change every year according to the type of opportunities available.
Furthermore a number of academic departments have their own fees and funding that students can apply for.
Find out details on how to apply.
- University of York
- YO10 5DD
- +44 (0) 1904 324 000