Visit the institution website for COVID‑19 updates
Applicants will need a Grade C in GCSE English, Maths and Science to be considered for the course (equivalency tests are also acceptable and available).
They should also have an undergraduate degree with a minimum classification of 2:2.
You will also need a satisfactory DBS and a good level of physical and mental fitness to teach.
Months of entry
We aim to teach and learn alongside creative, reflective and dynamic practitioners who are committed to teaching children. The programme encourages you to increase your understanding of teaching and learning processes in order to develop and maintain the high levels of enthusiasm, ability and passion necessary within the teaching profession.
Key features of this course include:
- Gain Qualified Teacher Status (QTS) on completion of the programme.
- Our primary initial teacher education courses are judged by Ofsted as ‘outstanding’ - the highest grade attainable in an Ofsted inspection.
- Students will be taught in lectures by experienced, expert practitioners in the field of education.
- There are many educational enrichment opportunities available for students to get involved with e.g. the certification of SAK4A (Sainsbury’s Active Kids for All).
- Students will have the opportunity to undertake a work placement as part of their studies, allowing them to spend time in a particular educational setting of their choice and explore their own particular interests.
This programme is delivered in partnership with St Mary's University, Twickenham, recognised as one of the highest quality providers of training for primary teachers in the country. Their Primary and Secondary Initial Education courses have been judged by Ofsted, the government department that regulates teacher training, to be ‘outstanding’ - the highest grade attainable in an Ofsted inspection. The courses were deemed to be outstanding for both ‘overall effectiveness’ and the ‘capacity for further improvement and/or sustaining overall quality.’
The Primary PGCE programme provides an intense training experience that combines academic rigour with personal and professional learning experiences. The training is designed to meet the needs of each trainee to support and develop the skills, knowledge and attributes needed to start a teaching career.
In preparation for your teaching role, you will be trained across the 5-11 age range, developing knowledge and practice to support your development of:
- Critical understanding of educational theory
- Reflective practice linked to professional standards
- Practitioner research and a wide range of educational issues to understand the unique characteristics of children and their learning needs
- Subject-specific knowledge and creative ways to enthuse and educate children.
Information for international students
If English is not your first language you will need to achieve an IELTS score of 6.5 overall with no less than 6.0 in any section (or equivalent).
Fees and funding
Wrexham Glyndŵr UnWrexham Glyndŵr University’s tuition fees for 2022/23 for PGCE Primary Postgraduate Certificate in Education are £5940.
Qualification, course duration and attendance options
- full time12 months
- Campus-based learningis available for this qualification
Course contact details
- 01978 293439