An undergraduate degree (UK 2:1 or equivalent) in chemistry or a related discipline.
Minimum entry requirements
- Upper second class (2:1) honours
- 3.0 Cumulative GPA (out of 4) or 3.2 Cumulative GPA in the final two years of your undergraduate programme
- Equivalent academic qualifications
English language requirements
If English is not your native language or if you have not studied in English at degree level, you will need to provide evidence of your English proficiency. You should normally possess one of the following qualifications:
- IELTS: 6.0 (minimum of 5.0 in all sections)
- TOEFL iBT: 80
In exceptional circumstances, individual cases will be considered on their own merits. You may be required to attend interviews or tests to further demonstrate your English proficiency.
If you miss the English language requirements by 0.5-1.0 of an IELTS band, or a similar number for other English language exams, you can be admitted to the programme after successful completion of our five- or eight-week intensive English pre-sessional course.
You can also apply to take the XJTLU English language test in lieu of an IELTS/TOEFL or equivalent. Based on the score, students may be admitted or may be required to take and successfully complete the five- or eight-week intensive English pre-sessional course.
Additionally, students may be required to complete English language courses on a pass/fail basis as part of the additional learning activity requirement during their studies at XJTLU.
Months of entry
The MRes Advanced Chemical Sciences programme provides students with the education and training needed to understand different aspects of the field of material sciences. It aligns with similar MSc programmes at the University of Liverpool.
The programme contains taught modules covering areas from synthetic chemistry to nanotechnology to analytical methods and instrumentation. It places strong emphasis on the development of project management and professional skills. After completing the taught modules, you will engage in a 12-month extensive research project of your choice that leads to submission of a dissertation.
A customised learning plan is designed for you, taking into account your background and career aspirations. Successful completion of the programme leads to the award of an MRes degree from the University of Liverpool.
Why should I study Advanced Chemical Sciences at XJTLU?
- Taught by international staff who are experts in various fields of chemistry
- Excellent preparation for the study of PhD programmes both at universities abroad or in China
- Offers strong links to local and international industries
- XJTLU is located close to the many biotechnology companies in nearby BioBay, a national biotechnology hub with over 400 companies, ideal for internships
- Nearby Cold Spring Harbor Asia hosts prestigious scientific symposia, conferences and summer schools providing our students with the opportunity to interact with world-famous researchers
- Earn a University of Liverpool degree that is recognised by the Chinese Ministry of Education.
Knowledge and skills
By the time you graduate, you will:
- developed key, career-enhancing personal and employable skills such as time management, report writing, team-building, networking, and project management
- gained a range of critical interdisciplinary research skills
- benefited from a strong theoretical background, practical instrumentation skills and an intensive research project.
- Advanced analytical chemistry
- Nanotechnology and advanced materials
- Topics in advanced organic chemistry
- Research project
- Project management
Additional learning activities:
The completion of additional learning activities is required to complete your masters degree. Normally, required ALA hours will be distributed evenly across each semester, amounting to 200 hours per semester. Part-time programmes will normally require 100 to 150 hours per semester.
Successful graduates can establish careers in a wide range of industries, including:
- Chemical and material science
- Food and beverages (quality assurance and new formulation)
- Analytical laboratories.
Closing date for applications (for September 2019 entry)
30 June 2019 for international and students from Hong Kong, Macao and Taiwan
Information for international students
Visa for entry into China
There are a number of visas available to international students who want to study in China, depending on the duration of your intended period of study. Staff in our International Student Recruitment and Support team can advise you on the correct visa to apply for.
Students should contact us at International@xjtlu.edu.cn for more information on their options.
Fees and funding
XJTLU offers a generous scholarship of up to 50 percent of the total tuition fee for all full-time masters programmes based on academic merit. Should you wish to apply for XJTLU master scholarship, please submit a scholarship application letter in your application stating the reasons why you should be considered.
If you are a graduate of XJTLU, the University of Liverpool or Xi’an Jiaotong University, you will automatically receive a discount of 20 percent of the tuition fee.
Masters students have the option to pay tuition fees in instalments each semester. You can also choose to pay the fees upfront at the time of registration, in this case a discount of five percent of the total fees will be offered.
You will be asked to indicate how you would like to pay the fees when you confirm your acceptance of the unconditional offer.
Qualification, course duration and attendance options
- full time18 months
- Campus-based learningis available for this qualification
Course contact details
- PG Enquiries