Visit the institution website for COVID‑19 updates
An undergraduate degree (UK 2:1 or equivalent) in a life science-related discipline.
Minimum entry requirements
- Upper second class (2:1) honours
- 3.0 Cumulative GPA (out of 4) or 3.2 Cumulative GPA in the final two years of your undergraduate programme
- Equivalent academic qualifications
English language requirements
If English is not your native language or if you have not studied in English at degree level, you will need to provide evidence of your English proficiency. You should normally possess one of the following qualifications:
- IELTS: 6.0 (minimum of 5.0 in all sections)
- TOEFL iBT: 80
In exceptional circumstances, individual cases will be considered on their own merits. You may be required to attend interviews or tests to further demonstrate your English proficiency.
If you miss the English language requirements by 0.5-1.0 of an IELTS band, or a similar number for other English language exams, you can be admitted to the programme after successful completion of our five- or eight-week intensive English pre-sessional course.
You can also apply to take the XJTLU English language test in lieu of an IELTS/TOEFL or equivalent. Based on the score, students may be admitted or may be required to take and successfully complete the five- or eight-week intensive English pre-sessional course.
Additionally, students may be required to complete English language courses on a pass/fail basis as part of the additional learning activity requirement during their studies at XJTLU.
Months of entry
The MRes Molecular Bioscience programme provides a thorough understanding of key approaches for studying biological processes at the molecular level. It takes advantage of XJTLU’s advanced English language capabilities, distinctive international features and state-of-the-art research facilities.
The programme covers biotechnology-related topics such as molecular biology, protein biochemistry and drug discovery, as well as post-genomic biology (genomics, transcriptomics, proteomics and bioimaging), and bioinformatics, such as acquisition and statistical analysis of large-scale biodata. It also places a major emphasis on providing project management skills. After these taught modules, the programme focuses on an in-depth research project and specialised dissertation. Customised individual learning plans are designed for students, in keeping with their backgrounds and career aspirations. Successful completion of the programme leads to the award of an MRes degree from the University of Liverpool, United Kingdom.
The Department of Biological Sciences at XJTLU has internationally respected investigators in this field of research with excellent teaching and laboratory infrastructure. Students have the opportunity to carry out world-class research in a dynamic, transnational environment.
Why should I study Molecular Bioscience at XJTLU?
- Taught by international academic staff who are experts in molecular bioscience
- Programme lasts 18 months – much shorter than masters degree programmes in most Chinese universities
- Excellent preparation for PhD programmes in high-quality Western and Chinese universities
- Relevant to careers in a wide range of bio-industries including biotechnology, bioengineering, bioagriculture, biomanufacturing, and pharmaceutical companies
- XJTLU is located near many biotechnology companies in BioBay, a national biotechnology hub with over 400 companies, ideal for internships
- Nearby Cold Spring Harbor Asia hosts prestigious scientific symposia, conferences and summer schools providing our students with the opportunity to interact with world-famous researchers
- Graduates of this programme, as with all XJTLU masters degrees, earn a University of Liverpool degree that is recognised by the Chinese Ministry of Education.
Knowledge and skills
By the time you graduate from the MRes Molecular Bioscience programme, you will have:
- developed key employable skills such as data analysis, report writing, team-building/networking and project management
- a range of critical interdisciplinary research skills and a internationally recognised qualification from a globally respected university
- Research methods in biotechnology
- Research methods in post-genomic biology
- Research methods in bioinformatics
- Project management
- Research project
Additional learning activities
The completion of additional learning activities is required to complete your masters degree. Normally, required ALA hours will be distributed evenly across each semester, amounting to 200 hours per semester. Part-time programmes will normally require 100 to 150 hours per semester.
ALAs offered include:
- Personal and employability skills
- Laboratory rotation
- English language modules
- Chinese language classes for non-native speakers
- Graduate teaching assistantship
- PowerPoint presentation
- Data recording and collection, Lab Book
- Research project progress report
Other appropriate academic activities are also available, such as participation in level three undergraduate modules and the department's research seminar series.
The MRes Molecular Bioscience programme prepares graduates for advanced research in both international and Chinese university settings, as well as in the bio-industrial sector such as biotechnology and pharmaceutical companies.
Closing date for applications (for September 2019 entry)
30 June 2019 for international and students from Hong Kong, Macao and Taiwan
Information for international students
Visa for entry into China
There are a number of visas available to international students who want to study in China, depending on the duration of your intended period of study. Staff in our International Student Recruitment and Support team can advise you on the correct visa to apply for.
Students should contact us at International@xjtlu.edu.cn for more information on their options.
Fees and funding
XJTLU offers a generous scholarship of up to 50 percent of the total tuition fee for all full-time masters programmes based on academic merit. Should you wish to apply for XJTLU master scholarship, please submit a scholarship application letter in your application stating the reasons why you should be considered.
If you are a graduate of XJTLU, the University of Liverpool or Xi’an Jiaotong University, you will automatically receive a discount of 20 percent of the tuition fee.
Masters students have the option to pay tuition fees in instalments each semester. You can also choose to pay the fees upfront at the time of registration, in this case a discount of five percent of the total fees will be offered.
You will be asked to indicate how you would like to pay the fees when you confirm your acceptance of the unconditional offer.
Qualification, course duration and attendance options
- full time18 months
- Campus-based learningis available for this qualification
Course contact details
- PG Enquiries