Working towards a good cause is at the heart of all charity jobs. Careers in the third sector span a range of disciplines so to find out which is right for you read on to discover what charity jobs involve

From working for a small and medium sized employer (SMEs) to a career with a large international organisation there are charity and voluntary jobs to suit all aspirations.

You could work front-of-house in a hands-on role, or behind the scenes. If travelling is your thing, you could see the world by working for a global charity or pressure group. If you prefer home ground you could stay put and positively contribute to your own community by finding work with a local charity, whatever your aims and wherever your passions lie there are a range of opportunities available.

Advice worker

You'll provide free, impartial, confidential advice and information to clients on a range of issues.

Advice is generally provided face-to-face or by telephone, email and web-chat services. You could be based in community centres, doctors' surgeries or courts and prisons, as well as in dedicated advice or call centres.

There are no formal degree requirements, although many possess a degree and postgraduate or professional qualifications.

Gain an in-depth insight into the role of an advice worker.

Campaigns assistant

Reporting to the campaigns manager you'll help with developing material to be used in the charity's fundraising activities. This can involve writing press releases, emails and letters, producing e-campaign materials and general admin tasks. You'll act as the link between the organisation and its campaigners and fundraisers 'on the ground'.

You'll need a confident manner and excellent teamwork skills to succeed in this role.

Celebrity manager

Also known as a celebrity liaison officer, you'll be responsible for developing a portfolio of VIP supporters and managing these relationships across the organisation. More often than not working for a larger charity, it's your job to implement the celebrity strategy and liaise directly with VIPs and their teams to negotiate the terms of their involvement with the charity.

You'll work with celebrities on campaigns to raise awareness of the organisation and its aims. You'll also work closely with your charity's PR, marketing and fundraising departments.

Previous experience of managing VIP relationships in a similar role is usually needed.

Charity director

Developing a charity's services, generating income and raising awareness for the cause are key responsibilities of a charity director. You'll also plan policies, write funding bids and represent the charity at meetings, events and in the media.

You'll need a lot of experience at senior management level and an in-depth knowledge of your charity's service users. The job also requires leadership, motivational and project management skills and negotiation and budgeting ability.

Charity fundraiser

Increasing the contributions of individuals and groups to a charity by building relationships and exploring new fundraising opportunities, you'll need excellent communications skills and enthusiasm.

The ability to network is paramount as success depends on being able to forge positive relationships with supporters. You'll also work to raise awareness of the charity's work.

Starting salaries for assistant roles are between £15,000 and £22,000.

Find out more about the qualifications and skills you need to become a charity fundraiser.

Charity officer

Also known as charity administrators, community liaison officers or project development officers, this is a popular choice among graduates with a passion for helping others.

In large organisations charity officers focus on a specific area, such as business development, marketing, public relations, fundraising or volunteer management. In smaller charities, you'll undertake multiple tasks.

Charity officers usually earn £16,000 to £25,000.

Learn more about the role of a charity officer.

Community arts worker

You'll collaborate with local groups and individuals, encouraging the use of artistic activities to support their development and improve their quality of life. You'll work in areas where there are social, cultural or environmental issues and use a range of art forms to engage with different community groups.

The role is open to all graduates, HND and foundation degree holders, but a degree in subjects such as art history, event management or teaching could be useful.

Discover what it's like to work as a community arts worker.

Community development worker

Helping communities to bring about social change and improve the quality of life in their local area is all in a day's work for community development workers. You'll work with individuals, families and communities on projects that target communities perceived to be culturally, economically, or geographically disadvantaged.

This area of work is open to all graduates and those with an HND, but a degree in social sciences may improve your chances.

Read more about the role of a community development worker.

Community education officer

You'll help to organise and promote participation in local education or training opportunities, including skills in literacy and numeracy, life skills or practical skills, such as budgeting, cooking or learning how to use a computer.

You'll typically work in areas of social deprivation or high unemployment and may work in non-traditional venues such as community centres, children's centres, libraries, and churches.

Find out what qualifications you'll need to work as a community education officer.

Grants assistant

You'll provide administrative support to funding/fundraising departments and help to research and make new grant applications.

You'll need strong organisational and IT skills, excellent attention to detail and the ability to work as part of a team. Experience of working in an office environment may be beneficial.

Housing officer

Working for charities such as Shelter, housing associations or local authorities, you'll assess the needs of people applying for housing, carry out inspections, deal with anti-social behaviour and broken tenancy agreements, set rents, attend meetings and work with other agencies such as social services.

You'll typically work a 37-hour week, Monday to Friday.  

International aid/development worker

This role is all about meeting the needs of people and communities in the developing world. You'll work with developing countries to set up long-term, sustainable solutions to problems.

Many people who enter this area of work have a degree in social sciences or a relevant vocational subject, although not all posts require a particular degree. Subjects such as economics, human rights, languages, and social policy may increase your chances.

Discover what you could earn as an international aid/development worker.

Policy/research assistant

Usually found in larger organisations, this is a popular charity job for graduates looking to develop a career in policy and research.

You'll provide general support to the policy and research teams and will need a high level of written and verbal communication skills, as well as the ability to gather, understand and analyse complex information.

Volunteer coordinator

Working as a volunteer coordinator involves assessing and meeting an organisation's needs through the recruitment, placement, and retention of volunteers. You'll manage volunteers and their relationships with those they come into contact with, including employees and service users of a charity.

Many volunteer coordinators begin their careers as unpaid volunteers to gain experience. Starting salaries range from £15,000 to £26,000.

Take a look at the qualifications you'll need to become volunteer coordinator.

Youth worker

Relevant work experience and the desire to make a difference in the lives of young people are essential for this job.

You'll guide and support young people in their personal, social and educational development to help them reach their full potential. You'll typically work with those aged between 11 and 25 in a variety of settings such as colleges, schools and youth centres.

The minimum qualification required to work as a professional youth worker is a BA (Hons) degree validated by the National Youth Agency (NYA).

Find out more about a youth workers salary.

Find out more

How would you rate this page?

On a scale where 1 is dislike and 5 is like

success feedback

Thank you for rating the page