- 2:2 honours degree or higher in any discipline. IELTS (standard level) if degree was not delivered in English.
- 3+ years professional work experience (standard definition any role which has required you to work & interact with a range of people requiring a regular element of problem-solving)
Months of entry
This course will create graduates with a sound understanding of the theory and practice of AI in industry. As a conversion course we will assume all students are starting fresh with no experience of computer programming and little experience of using mathematics or statistics in their undergraduate programmes or in work.
We will begin by creating a foundation in programming and mathematics upon which we will build the expertise in several key areas of artificial intelligence, going from your first Python code and basic algebra right through to Deep Learning. The core applied areas of data science that will be taught will include:
- Data Visualisation and Interpretation - Analysis that can’t be properly interpreted, explained and understood is a waste of time from a commercial point-of-view. We will teach you how to generate attractive and interpretable visualisations and tell the story of whatever data you’re working with to a range of audiences.
- Image Analysis - Machine learning has shown incredible results recently in understanding the themes of images and video which are being applied in a range of commercial settings; from security and driverless cars, to online clothes shopping.
- Natural Language Processing - Being able to understand speech and text is one of the cornerstones of artificial intelligence systems. Chatbots built on AI are appearing all over the internet, but more than this technology giants are searching for ways that machines can have detailed conversations with one-another and to be able to read and understand text documents.
- Time Series - Dealing with dynamic data is vital to AI systems in finance, AI and defence; whether predicting the future of stock prices to predicting patient outcomes in ICU and how a virus outbreak will permeate through a population.
A strong focus on technology monitoring and ethics will be taught in a way to suit learners from all backgrounds. The masters’ project will have an industrial route for learners who want to work on an applied project with a corporate partner and there will be a route for graduates to undertake a professional placement or to go on to a doctoral research programme.
Information for international students
Fees and funding
We offer further information on possible postgraduate financial support. This includes the type of loans, grants and scholarships available both from the government and from Birmingham City University.
Qualification, course duration and attendance options
- full time12 months
- Distance learningis available for this qualification
Course contact details
- Iain Rice