Visit the institution website for COVID‑19 updates
A Bachelors Honours degree with 2:2 in any subject.
Applicants are also required to submit a portfolio in support of their application for this course.
Months of entry
This Master’s in 3D Computer Animation, delivered by the National Centre for Computer Animation (NCCA), is the perfect launch-pad for a career in a wide range of disciplines, including concept design, character and creature animation, modelling, lighting, rigging, texturing, compositing and simulation.
Develop the skills needed to work in a number of areas where computer animation is applied, including films, animated features, computer games, television production, commercials, illustration, scientific visualisation, flight simulation, virtual environments, architectural visualisations and interactive media.
- Gain an understanding of the inter-relation of aesthetic, perceptual and technical factors involved in the development of CG productions
- Develop a creative and innovative approach to the analysis and solution of problems in CG productions
- Collaborate with students from across the NCCA Master’s courses in Digital Effects and Computer Animation & Visual Effects providing a realistic setting to discover what it’s like working with other creative and technical people
- Join our regular visiting practitioners lecture series where you'll learn about the 2D and 3D industry from practising artists and companies, including our graduates
- Attend regular Masterclasses from professionals. Over the past five years, we have attracted some of the best Visual Effects, Animation and Games studios from around the world to present to our students.
- Undertake a Masters project with dedicated production time to create a substantial and original project in preparation for the degree show in London attended by top industry recruiters
- Study in a professional studio environment, facilities include a full suite of industry-standard 2D and 3D software, a full Motion Capture studio and a High-Definition Television Studio
- Attend BU's BFX Festival, the UK's largest visual effects, computer games & animation festival featuring a fantastic line-up of speakers, masterclasses, exhibitions, screenings and networking events
- Follow in the footsteps of our graduates who have worked on films such as Jojo Rabbit, The Avengers, The Avengers: Endgame, The Irishman, The Lion King, Star Wars Rise of Skywalker, Blade Runner 2049, Fantastic Beasts: The Crimes of Grindlewald and Dunkirk
- BU is ranked 4th in the top 25 animation schools and colleges in the world, 3nd in Europe and 1st in the UK (Animation Career Review 2020).
Information for international students
If English is not your first language: IELTS 6.5 (Academic) with a minimum of 6.0 in each component of writing, speaking, listening and reading, or equivalent.
Fees and funding
Please check Bournemouth University course website for the latest tuition fees information. For fees and funding information, please visit www.bournemouth.ac.uk/pg-funding
Qualification, course duration and attendance options
- full time12 months
- Campus-based learningis available for this qualification
Further details of qualification
This course is delivered by the National Centre for Computer Animation (NCCA).
Course contact details
- Future Students Enquiry Team
- +44 (0)1202 961 916