A Bachelors Honours degree with 2:2 in any subject.
Applicants are also required to submit a portfolio in support of their application for this course.
Months of entry
Delivered by the National Centre for Computer Animation (NCCA), the MA Digital Effects course will provide you with a strong theoretical and technical underpinning for the principal areas of study focusing on the integration of computer graphics into film footage.
This is a truly international course, attracting students from all over the world with a diverse range of cultures and identities. We aim to take you from no experience to cinema standard photo realism within the first semester and to provide you with the skills and opportunities to realise your ideas into full production sequences that demonstrate a clear mastery of the subject. By the end of the course, you’ll be well prepared for an exciting and rewarding career in the VFX and Animation industry.
- Become proficient in acquisition filming, 3D animation and 2D compositing, facilitating your understanding of the entire digital effects pipeline
- Explore toolsets such as dynamics, green screen, tracking and digital assets in order to push yourself and your work to the next level of visual success
- Undertake multiple projects both individually and alongside students from across the NCCA Master's courses in 3D Computer Animation and Computer Animation and Visual Effects
- Benefit from visiting speaker talks from industry specialists, including some of our successful alumni. Graduates have worked on many award-winning films such as Gravity, Avatar, Inception, Star Wars, Harry Potter, Black Panther as well as prolific television series such as Game of Thrones
- Undertake a Master's project with dedicated production time to create a substantial and original digital effects project in preparation for the end of year degree show attended by top industry recruiters
- Access industry-standard facilities including a new green screen and motion capture studio, as well as animation laboratories, equipped with industry-standard software Houdini and Nuke
- Attend BU's BFX Festival, the UK's largest visual effects, computer games & animation festival featuring a fantastic line-up of speakers, masterclasses, exhibitions, screenings and networking events
- BU is ranked 4th in the top 25 animation schools and colleges in the world, 3nd in Europe and 1st in the UK (Animation Career Review 2020).
Information for international students
If English is not your first language you'll need IELTS (Academic) 6.5 with a minimum of 6.0 in each component of writing, speaking, listening and reading.
Fees and funding
For fees and funding information, please visit www.bournemouth.ac.uk/pg-funding
Qualification, course duration and attendance options
- full time12 months
- Campus-based learningis available for this qualification
Further details of qualification
This course is delivered by the National Centre for Computer Animation This programme normally takes students from art, design or media backgrounds. Students come from a broad range of areas including fine art, photography, architecture, fashion design, film-making and graphic design.
Course contact details
- Future Students Enquiry Team
- +44 (0) 1202 961 916