Visit the institution website for COVID‑19 updates
For entry requirements for this course, please visit our website.
Months of entry
The MSc in Electrical Energy Systems has a particular focus on the integration of renewable generation into electricity transmission and distribution networks and on preparing students for a new era of truly ‘smart’ grids, and is designed to meet the urgent need for specialists in advanced electrical energy systems.
This course meets an urgent need for specialists in advanced electrical energy systems that are needed to design and build secure, reliable, low-carbon and affordable energy systems in developed and developing countries around the world. The programme maintains a particular focus on the integration of renewable generation in to electricity transmission and distribution networks and will prepare you for a new era of truly ‘smart’ grids.
More specifically, the programme aims to equip you with:
- A demonstrable mastery of a broad spectrum of advanced engineering principles to real-life technological, financial, regulatory, managerial and ethical problems encountered in the electrical Energy and Power profession, and the potential to be key professional players in the wider industry, the professions, and public service.
- A systematic understanding of knowledge, and a critical awareness of current problems and new insights which are at the forefront of Electrical Energy Systems.
- A comprehensive understanding of techniques applicable to their own research or advanced scholarship.
- Originality in application of knowledge, together with a practical understanding of how established techniques of research and enquiry are used to create and interpret knowledge in the area of Electrical Energy Systems.
The distinctive features of the programme include:
- The opportunity to learn in a research-led teaching institution in one of the highest ranked university units in the 2014 Research Excellence Framework (REF).
- You will undertake project work in a research environment where staff were top in the UK for Research Impact in terms of their research’s reach and significance.
- The participation of research-active staff in programme design and delivery, many of whom are Chartered Engineers or have experience of working in industry.
- The variety of advanced level modules on offer.
- The emphasis on progression towards independent learning in preparation for lifelong learning.
- The emphasis on acquisition of practical skills through industrially based final year group projects.
- The approval as Further Learning by the Institution of Engineering and Technology (IET).
- An open and engaging culture between students and staff.
Fees and funding
If you’re a home-fee paying student, you can apply for a £3,000 Master’s Excellence Scholarship from Cardiff University to help cover the cost of this programme.
Qualification, course duration and attendance options
- full time12 months
- Campus-based learningis available for this qualification
Course contact details
- Student Recruitment Enquiries
- +44 (0)29 2087 4455