We welcome applications from graduates who have a good honours degree, or equivalent professional qualification in a subject such as Environmental Science, Geography, Geology, or related discipline.
Months of entry
This course will open for applications for 2021/22 entry in Autumn 2020.
Our society is facing unprecedented environmental hazards driven by climate change and the rapid expansion of the world population. Global and local disasters cause many fatalities and cost billions of pounds every year. Earth scientists with expertise in the specialist hazard field are able to mitigate the impact of natural hazards, such as floods, earthquakes, landslides, volcanoes and coastal erosion, and environmental hazards created by people, such as air and water pollution.
On this course you will develop an advanced understanding of environmental hazards and technical expertise in risk assessment. This will include crucial skills in numerical and statistical modelling, remote sensing, fieldwork, and data analysis. There will be plenty of opportunities to gain hands-on experience using state-of-the-art field and laboratory equipment and high level, professional software. You will handle the latest modelling methods using remote sensing data from satellites such as CubeSat constellations and Sentinel, which are used to image the surface of the Earth.
With the skills required to predict, track and mitigate disasters, you will be an attractive candidate for a range of employment and research opportunities within government, government agencies, environmental consultancies, flood risk, utility and insurance companies. Plus, you will become part of the global effort to make our society more resilient against natural disasters as outlined in the Sendai framework and endorsed by the United Nations General Assembly.
- Study a modern, interdisciplinary course with a focus on methods for analysing past hazards and forecasting future ones.
- Our location in South Wales provides a rich, field environment to explore within the context of UK environmental hazards.
- Focus your studies in the areas that are interesting and important to you through an advanced research project driven by your own interests.
- Experience research-led teaching from leading practitioners who will share their diverse expertise in the modern, interdisciplinary science of hazard assessment and risk management.
Qualification, course duration and attendance options
- full time12 months
- Campus-based learningis available for this qualification
Course contact details
- Dr T.C. Hales
- +44 (0)29 2087 4329