For entry requirements, please see: http://www.cardiff.ac.uk/study/postgraduate/research/programmes/programme/educational-psychology
Months of entry
The aim of the programme is to provide a sound theoretical basis, as well as the requisite skills in applying psychology, to equip trainees to perform the role of the educational psychologist.
The curriculum covers the following six themes:
- Research methods in educational psychology
- Processes and methods of assessment.
- The psychology of learning: managing change
- The psychology of behaviour: managing change
- Understanding and working with systems, organisations and groups: managing change
- The role of the educational psychologist: managing change
Each trainee has two personal tutors plus a fieldwork supervisor on each local authority placement.Programme aims
The aim of the programme is to offer knowledge and expertise for a career as an educational psychologist (EP), via doctorate-level study. Completion of the programme confers eligibility to apply for registration as a practitioner psychologist with the Health and Care Professions Council (HCPC) and to the British Psychological Society (BPS) for Chartered EP status.
Applicants should note the following:
- Cardiff University has in place a Policy for Determining Applicants’ Fitness to Practise and Eligibility to Pursue Regulated Programmes of Study. This policy will be followed where information is disclosed or received about applicants, which suggests that a fitness to practise assessment is required.
- Eligibility to enrol on the programme, if offered a place, is dependent upon satisfactory completion of an Enhanced Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) Check, i.e., one that does not reveal any information that suggests a trainee would be unsuitable for work with children, young people and vulnerable adults.
- The HCPC carries out its own health and character checks to determine whether individuals are fit to practise and can be included on the Register. So passing all elements of this programme does not guarantee automatic inclusion on the HCPC’s Register.
Qualification and course duration
Course contact details
- Postgraduate Enquiries