Suitable for graduates in Welsh or other Humanities and Social Science subjects. Students who have not completed an MA or a research methods training course normally follow the research skills module of the taught MA while preparing for their MPhil/PhD thesis. A 1st or an upper 2nd class UK Honours degree, or equivalent, is required. Candidates who wish to submit their MPhil or PhD dissertation in Welsh, and who have not graduated in Welsh, must satisfy the School as to the standard of their written and oral skills in the language. The School of Welsh also welcomes applications from UK or overseas non-Welsh speaking students who wish to study and submit their MPhil or PhD dissertation through the medium of English. Note: if English is not the candidates’ first language, and they wish to study through the medium of English, they will be required to demonstrate oral and written fluency before being accepted on to the programme. A minimum score of 6.5 on the International English Language Test (IELTS) is required. Please see our English Language Requirements guidance for more details.
Months of entry
January, October, July, April
Course contentProgramme Aims
To offer knowledge and expertise for a career in language planning, media, government, teaching, management and research. The School provides training and a high level of support, and the postgraduate community makes a vital contribution to the University's international reputation for research.Special Features
- Annual series of research seminars and conferences
- Language Planning and Policy Research Unit
- Opportunities to teach in the School and the Welsh Language Teaching Centre (Welsh for Adults)
- Collaborative research with several North American and European institutions, for instance in Canada and Ireland
- Close links with the Welsh Government and other national institutions including the National History Museum, St. Fagans.
For more information please click here
Qualification and course duration
Course contact details
- Ceren Roberts
- +44 (0)29 2087 5659