An upper second class honours degree in Civil Engineering or a relevant subject. Alternative qualifications combined with relevant experience may also be considered.
Months of entry
A brand new, one of its kind qualification for those seeking specialist skills in the design and construction of temporary works.
This MSc degree is aimed at graduates with at least two years of practical experience in construction; however, more recent graduates with a good appreciation of construction processes will also benefit.
Having achieved a firm grounding in engineering you may be keen to develop your skills as a practical engineer working on site or enhance design skills if you are engaged in permanent works design.
The course provides the following:
- An introduction to statutory obligations, management methods and special design considerations for temporary works;
- Design of structures used in and for temporary works, their construction and monitoring;
- Design of geotechnical temporary works and processes, including groundwater control and ground investigation;
- Design of temporary works for marine construction, in particular floating structures and the effect of waves and varying water levels;
- The use of plant in temporary works and the provision of appropriate working platforms and access;
- Demolition and alteration of structures, including the disposal/reuse of construction waste.
Information for international students
For overseas students whose first language is not English, the following qualification is required:
- IELTS: 6.5 in all categories.
Qualification and course duration
Course contact details
- Programmes Office
- +44 (0)20 7040 0248