About Cranfield University
Business, industry, and governments recognise Cranfield University's world-class postgraduate courses and unrivalled facilities. Our reputation for education, research and consultancy attracts students and academics from across the globe.
Nestled in the heart of the Cambridge-Milton Keynes- Oxford Arc, Cranfield offers a mature and stimulating environment where students develop as professional leaders in science, technology, engineering, and management, applying their knowledge and expertise to real-life projects that better the global economy.
With a deep understanding of technology, world-class research, entrepreneurship and leadership training in key areas of;
- Design Engineering
- Defence and Security
- Energy and Sustainability
- Environment and Agrifood
- Leadership and Management
- Manufacturing and Materials
- Transport Systems
Working with national governments, NGOs, and charities to micro-SMEs to the largest blue-chip multinationals together we influence policy and bring ground-breaking new technologies and products to the market.
As one of the UK's most business-engaged University, we are trusted to understand and to be responsive to many organisations' needs.
- Strong links with government departments and some of the largest and most successful global businesses including Airbus, Bill and Melinda gates Foundation, Jaguar Land Rover, McDonald’s, PepsiCo, Rolls-Royce (spans over 30 years), Unilever, UK Civil Aviation Authority and Yorkshire Water.
- Cranfield University Technology Park - our centre for innovation located just offsite - homes more than 60 companies.
- a collaboration agreement with Boeing, building on its 10-year partnership with Cranfield.
- a strategic partnership with EasyJet, Europe's leading airline.
- Links to Unilever, one of the world's largest consumer goods companies.
Our results are recognised in our awards and rankings, our partnerships, and the success of our alumni. The experience gained at Cranfield is transformational for both individuals and organisations alike.
Click here to see our Rankings and Awards
What Makes Cranfield Unique?
At Cranfield we have many world-class, large scale and national facilities that enhance the quality and value of our research and teaching. Here are just a few:
- Aerospace Integration Research Centre (AIRC) - The AIRC is a purpose-built facility that houses cutting-edge aerospace research and development equipment. It includes a large-scale test bed for aircraft and engine systems, an engine test facility, and an advanced manufacturing workshop.
- Breakthrough Innovation Hub - Providing design, build and testing spaces devoted to interdisciplinary research across science, engineering and design
- Energy Materials Laboratory - The EML's facilities enable the evaluation of the corrosion performance of metallic and ceramic materials in a range of environments.
- Plant Growth Facility - Facility for experimental work involving plant physiology, plant phenotyping, and plant-microbe and plant-soil interactions.
- Cranfield Management Development Centre - A world-class conference centre with customisable meeting facilities, comfortable accommodation, and an array of business services
- Through-life Engineering Services (TES) Centre - A research centre that focuses on the development of technologies and strategies for through-life engineering services. The TES Centre was established in 2008 and is funded by several industry partners, including Rolls-Royce, BAE Systems, and Network Rail.
- DARTeC (Digital Aviation Research and Technology Centre) - DARTeC is a research centre that focuses on digital aviation research and technology, launched in 2019 and is part of a collaborative effort with Boeing, Thales, and Saab. The center has state-of-the-art facilities, including a digital control tower, a 3D printing laboratory, and a virtual reality center.
- World class Water Science facilities - Our facilities include an on-site sewage treatment works, with it’s own dedicated pilot-plant hall, and state-of-the-art clean water, fermentation, microbiology, wastewater and water chemistry laboratories that provide extensive analytical services.
- Management Information and Resources - Students can access a wealth of management information, supported by our dedicated team of information professionals.
Our Cranfield campus is 40 minutes away from central London by train, with nearest towns being Milton Keynes and Bedford. London Luton airport is the closest to the University, while Heathrow, Gatwick and Stansted are all easily accessible via train and coach.
Cranfield Defence and Security site at Shrivenham is around 50 mins from London by train and around 25 mins from Bristol by train. Bath, Cheltenham, Bristol and Oxford are all within an hour’s drive and London less than two hours away by car.
Cranfield is at the centre of two very beautiful and interesting worlds, the modern city of Milton Keynes and the country town of Bedford. Both options are just a few miles away from campus and are accessible by car, or by public transport.
While Shrivenham, a Ministry of Defence establishment on the Oxfordshire/Wiltshire borders, lies in the picturesque Vale of the White Horse, seven miles from Swindon.
On campus, there is a true sense of community, helping you to forge friendships during your studies and leisure time, in a safe and peaceful environment. Whatever your recreational, social, or sporting interests, there are many opportunities to make friends and have a great time.
Green Spaces - on campus you will find plenty of open spaces to relax, rejuvenate and simply enjoy. The open spaces are great for taking a break or for use as an alternative study area during the summer.
Hartley’s Bar (within the CMDC) - offering a relaxed and welcoming environment, hosting regular events, including karaoke nights, live music, and themed evenings.
Eating - We have several cafés and restaurants, which serve everything from ice-creams, coffees, and international snacks to hot meals. Located in front of Cranberries, our Costa Coffee outlet provides freshly brewed tea and coffee, along with a variety of cakes, pastries, and light snacks. We also have a regular street food area offering a variety of different world foods for you to experience.
Gym - enjoy our well-equipped fitness centre which is split between a free weights room, a functional training room and a general-purpose gym with a range of resistance and cardiovascular machines.
Outdoor Sports Facility - grassed, multi-use playing field features full-size football, rugby and cricket pitches and is also ideal for training, while our multi-use games area features two floodlit, fully fenced, five-a-side pitches with synthetic artificial turf.
Relaxation and Therapy - A range of therapeutic and professional services are offered by external companies operating at our Cranfield sports centre.
Worship - We have an ecumenical chapel where Christian groups can meet and Roman Catholic mass is celebrated, a Mosque for daily and Friday prayer, Quran study, Eid and Ramadan observations, and close links with other local places of worship.
Bringing a Family to Cranfield - To keep children entertained the Cranfield Students Association regularly organises a comprehensive programme of fun and engaging activities including parties, games, and events throughout the year.
Look at other activities available during your time at Cranfield by visiting our Life at Cranfield page
Living on campus can be a great way for you to meet and socialise with other students, and to benefit from the supportive infrastructure and sense of community spirit this brings. However, we also understand that many students will still want to have the opportunity to live with partners and families, which is why we also offer affordable family homes and apartments for couples.
All our accommodation is within easy reach of the campus buildings and all the great amenities Cranfield University offers. There is plenty of parking space available for students who wish to bring their car. Chilver Hall - Fully furnished single or double standard ensuite rooms Stringfellow Hall - Fully furnished single ensuite rooms Lanchester Hall - Fully furnished single and double ensuite and shared bathroom option rooms Baroness Young Hall - Fully furnished premier single ensuite rooms and studio apartments Mitchell Hall - Fully furnished standard and ensuite rooms both fully catered Family Homes - Two, Three and Four bedroomed furnished family homes Apartments For Couples - Furnished Studio Apartments
Take a look at our full range of accommodation options
What our students have to say
Look at what your Students and Alumni have to say about studying at Cranfield.
Attend one of our Open Days to explore the Cranfield campus and look behind the scenes at some of our world class facilities, or take a look at our calendar of events for information about breakfast briefings, keynote lectures, fairs, conferences and webinars.
- Social media accounts