You should have the equivalent or above of a 2:2 UK bachelor’s honours degree in Interior Design or a related subject.
If you have other professional qualifications and industry experience we will consider your application on an individual basis.
Months of entry
Our Interior Design MA aims to support you to experiment boldly, meaningfully challenge conventions, and consider innovative approaches to the future of interior design. Our stunning and sophisticated facilities offer an inspiring place for you to foster and refine your talents.
During this course you will develop, research and practice design thinking to an advanced level, integrating strong research methods into the creative process.
Have the freedom to tailor your studies with our flexible learning ethos. Choose from modules such as Sustainable Design - exploring sustainability as a driver of innovation and a core aspect of marketing strategies - or Digital Design Futures, where you will discover emerging digital technologies and use them to envision daring and innovative design strategies of the future.
The course will also prepare you to take up a career in a range of industries. We will teach you the diversity of interior design strategies across sectors, from considered display, interpretation, and conservation requirements in museum and exhibition design to innovative interior solutions and strategies that can impact on buyer behaviour in shopping and retail.
During the final part of the course you will apply this knowledge to the formulation, investigation and detailed development of a major design brief. This project is a chance to hone your skills as an independent researcher and gain first-hand experience of important professional skills, including digital manufacturing processes, reporting, and creating design presentations.
- With our flexible learning approach, you can choose from a range of specialisms and tailor your design project to your career aspirations.
- An optional year-long work placement will enable you to gain valuable experience to further enhance your practical and professional skills.
- Become part of a community working together to co-design new ways of thinking to redefine the future of creative practice.
- Our teaching team keep the curriculum current, with expertise across the interior design spectrum and an ethos of supporting you to take risks with your work.
- Our award-winning Vijay Patel building has been designed to provide the space and facilities where all of our art and design students can develop their ideas and flourish. IT facilities include PC, CAD, graphics and multimedia labs, with software for drawing, multimedia, painting/DTP, 3D modelling, animation and video.
- Study in a lively multidisciplinary environment alongside working and upcoming designers, where you will benefit from both collaborative and individual learning experiences.
- You will graduate with the skills to forge a successful professional career in your chosen specialism, or to continue on the academic pathway to PhD level study.
Information for international students
If English is not your first language an IELTS score of 6.0 overall with 5.5 in each band, or equivalent when you start the course is essential. English Language tuition, delivered by our British Council-accredited Centre for English Language Learning, is available both before and throughout the course if you need it.
Fees and funding
Please visit our website for more information about course fees and available funding.
Qualification, course duration and attendance options
- full time12 months
- Campus-based learningis available for this qualification
Course contact details
- De Montfort University
- +44 (0)116 2 50 60 70