The equivalent of a UK first or upper second class honours degree. Check the full list of equivalent qualifications
The MSc in Business Analytics programme is designed for graduates from either a business background (with evidence of strong quantitative content) or a tech background (including numerate scientific disciplines with strong computational content). You will need a UK first or upper second class honours degree or international equivalent in one of the following:
- Computer science
- Related subject with strong quantitative component.
As there is a high demand for this programme with a finite number of places available, we operate a staged admissions process with application deadlines throughout the year for MSc Business Analytics. Due to the competition for places we give preference to applicants from high ranking institutions and with grades above our minimum entry requirements.
Months of entry
The MSc Business Analytics course is intended to provide premium Masters-level education and training in relevant areas of contemporary business analytics in a supportive research-led interdisciplinary learning environment.
The broad aims are:
- To develop advanced and systematic understanding of the complexity of data, including the sources of data relevant to business, alongside appropriate analysis techniques
- To enable you to critically review and apply relevant business analytics knowledge to practical situations
To develop a critical awareness of current issues in business analytics which is informed by leading research and practice in the field
- To develop a conceptual understanding of existing research and scholarship to enable the identification of new or revised approaches to business analytics practice
- To develop creativity in the application of knowledge, together with a practical understanding of how established, advanced techniques of research and enquiry are used to develop and interpret knowledge in business analytics
- To develop the ability to conduct research into business analytics issues that requires familiarity with a range of business data, research sources and appropriate methodologies and ethical issues
- To develop advanced conceptual abilities and analytical skills in order to evaluate the rigour and validity of published research and assess its relevance to new situations
- To extend the ability to communicate effectively both orally and in writing, using a range of media.
Core modules - Terms 1 and 2:EITHER
- Data Analytics in Action
- Learning from Data
- Managing Data-driven Innovation
- Natural Language Analysis
- Retail Analytics
- Data Analytics for Strategic Decision-Making
Core modules - Term 3:
You will also complete a Business Analytics research project. Supervised by a faculty member with relevant experience, you’ll investigate in greater detail a subject that you’ve already studied as part of your course. This is an opportunity for you to develop your business insight and present your analysis and ideas in a scholarly and professional manner.
Adding to your Experience
International Experience – Silicon Valley Field Trip
In the third term, you will undertake the Silicon Valley Field Trip module, an integral element of the programme providing essential experiential learning.
Our strong international activities are an integral part of the programme and aim at providing you with the experiential learning needed to acquire an inside perspective of operating globally. That’s why we offer a range of opportunities to help you immerse yourself in a country’s business and academic environment, make new contacts and stand out in a competitive job market. Your field trip is comprised of visits to a series of data-intensive participating organisations in Silicon Valley to analyse them using a structured learning approach, where you will present your analysis to the representatives of the participating organisations. As such this activity provides an excellent opportunity to be exposed to the challenges of global business, network and make new contacts with key staff within organisations and to help you stand out in the competitive jobs market while having fun.
Connecting with Business
There are many opportunities throughout the year to engage with organisations and alumni to further enhance your knowledge and skills.
Information for international students
If you are an international student who does not meet the requirements for direct entry to this degree, you may be eligible to take a pre-Masters pathway programme at the Durham University International Study Centre.
Fees and funding
For further information see the course listing.
Qualification, course duration and attendance options
- full time12 months
- Campus-based learningis available for this qualification
Course contact details