- The equivalent of a UK lower second class honours degree of which approximately 50% is comprised of science or a similar subject
- Significant and relevant subject knowledge and recent experience of the science teaching environment
- A levels or equivalent in at least two science subjects should your degree have less than 50% relevant subject knowledge and wish to apply for a Subject Knowledge Enhancement course (SKE)
- A demonstrable an interest and involvement in the lives and development of young people
Months of entry
The PGCE Secondary is the first phase of a career-long process of personal and professional development, which will equip you to become a secondary school teacher. The PGCE Secondary is a course in Initial Teacher Training which is accredited by the DfE, the successful completion of which will accord you Qualified Teacher Status (QTS). Our course has recently been inspected by Ofsted which resulted in an “Outstanding” grading for all aspects of our provision.
Subject pedagogy is explored in curriculum groups, examining techniques for making each subject accessible and stimulating in a classroom environment.
We believe strongly that to be able to teach successfully you must acquire a good understanding of the 'big ideas' of science as well as learning about how to teach science. The university-based time is therefore divided into two main parts:
- Core Science is a compulsory second method theme for all science students. It addresses your own understanding of the key concepts underpinning science. Many students approach this theme with excellent qualifications but have never had an opportunity to explore their understanding of these concepts. We are told that this part of the course is "thought provoking", "enlightening" and "challenging". You are expected to follow up this work with tutor and peer group support, using the extensive library facilities.
- Science Education Issues looks at areas relevant to how science is taught.
Qualification and course duration
Course contact details
- School of Education
- +44 (0)191 334 8406