Patient Journey and System Design Microcredential from Deakin University
Are you eligible for this microcredential?
To be successful we recommend:
- 5 years of experience in a managerial or professional role with decision making responsibility or;
- 3 years of experience and undergraduate degree or some experience in the healthcare sector, especially in the acute care and hospital context.
This microcredential is delivered in English and as such an academic proficiency in English is strongly recommended. This microcredential is available ‘on demand’, as such it is open in 6 week learning periods. Learners can commence at any time and complete in a minimum 6 weeks, or maximum 6 month period. Is this microcredential right for you? This micro-credential can be stacked together with related micro-credential Patient Flow Management to build towards full postgraduate Deakin degrees:
- Graduate Certificate of Healthcare Management
- Master of Business Administration (Healthcare Management)
To claim credit towards a degree at Deakin University, you must successfully complete both Patient Flow Management and Patient Journey and System Design, and meet Deakin’s award course admission and selection requirements, including English language proficiency.
Months of entry
Improve the patient experience This online six week Patient Journey and System Design course from Deakin university allows you to explore the journey of patients within the healthcare system and investigate operational management problems. Think systemically and apply concepts of change management, organisational culture, organisational performance and system redesign concepts to plan improvements.
What you’ll learn
In this stackable short course (microcredential), you’ll:
- apply theories of capacity planning, scheduling, queueing and process design to delays in healthcare.
- critically analyse the causes of operational delays in healthcare contexts.
- use appropriate frameworks and tools to explore delays in real world emergency, inpatient and outpatient healthcare within the broader health system contexts.
- evaluate and present solutions to improve patient experience by adopting an appropriate system-wide perspective.
How you’re assessed
Your assessment consists of a two-part report where you’ll first; critically analyse a relevant scenario outlining the healthcare operation issues involved; Secondly, apply the frameworks, tools and strategies to address the problems you identified.
Co-designed with industry
This industry-led stackable short course is co-designed with health organisations including Kimberley Aboriginal Medical Services, Portland District Health and healthAbility and health management expert John Rasa Together, we’ve designed a course where you’ll gain skills that you can apply immediately in your workplace.
Stackable or standalone
This microcredential can be completed to receive a standalone credential or stacked together with related stackable microcredentials to build towards a full postgraduate Deakin degree later.
What skills will you learn?
- Adopt systems thinking
- Analyse causes
- Apply systems re-design
- Evaluate solutions
- Create business plan
- Provide leadership
- Manage stakeholders
- Manage business
- Improve patient experience
What you will achieve By the end of the microcredential, you’ll be able to...
- Identify organisational performance and patient experience-related problems in healthcare.
- Apply concepts of change management, organisational culture, organisational performance and system redesign.
- Create a plan to address healthcare organisational and patient experience-related problems.
- Build capacity in stakeholder management, change management, business planning and management.
Enrolment closes soon! Join by 7 Apr 2022 at 00:00
Information for international students
This course is taught fully online so is suitable to be studied anywhere in the world.
Fees and funding
Qualification, course duration and attendance options
- University Credits
- flexible2 months
- Online learningis available for this qualification
0.5 Deakin Credit Points at Postgraduate level from Deakin University and a Digital Certificate and Badge from Deakin University and Credly
|Assessment||What kind of work will I be doing? (proportionally)|
|Written coursework / continuous assessment||100|
Course contact details
- FutureLearn Community Team