You should normally have (or expect to be awarded) a a good 2:1 or 1st class honours degree, and a taught Masters in a relevant subject area.
Months of entry
We welcome enquiries from those who would like to carry out research in any aspect of design or in technology in education - current studies include:
* eco-design and forecasting trends
* the design of multi-sensory retail environments
* curriculum development in design
* the role of awkward space in cities
* pupil assessment in design and technology education
* reflexive drawing and the connection between representation and creativity
* social theory in a world of designed objects
* harnessing memes to disseminate design ideas
Design Star Centre for Doctoral Training
Goldsmiths is a member of the Design Star Centre for Doctoral Training, which brings the Department of Design together with other leading design departments at the University of Brighton; Loughborough University; The Open University; and the University of Reading.
It aims to develop future intellectual leadership in design: research leaders of the future who are equipped to make a difference to contemporary social concerns, knowledge production and creative practices. This requires an approach to research training that places diversity and interdisciplinarity at its core.
Design Star brings together world-class research in:
- design for industry
- interaction design
- design process
- communication design
- sustainable design
- design history
- creative practice
Its spread of design disciplines is linked by a common approach to design that encourages the integration of history, theory and engagement.
Qualification and course duration
Course contact details
- Course Enquiries
- +44 (0)20 7078 5300