Applicants must hold a BA or equivalent degree.
Admission is for the Fall Term only.
Students are admitted to the program through the Harvard Graduate School of Arts and Sciences. Applications to the Master of Science in CSE for entry into the program in Fall 2020 will be live online in September 2019.
Months of entry
The one-year Master of Science (SM) in Computational Science and Engineering provides rigorous training in the mathematical and computing foundations of CSE. Independent research projects and elective courses focusing on the application of computation to one or more domains complement the foundational coursework.
The design of the program is based on ten learning outcomes. Each student's plan of study should address these outcomes.
The outcomes answer the question: "What should a graduate of our CSE program be able to do"
- Frame a real-world problem such that it can be addressed computationally
- Evaluate multiple computational approaches to a problem and choose the most appropriate on
- Produce a computational solution to a problem that can be comprehended and used by others
- Communicate across disciplines
- Collaborate within teams
- Model systems appropriately with consideration of efficiency, cost, and the available data
- Use computation for reproducible data analysis
- Leverage parallel and distributed computing
- Build software and computational artifacts that are robust, reliable, and maintainable
- Enable a breakthrough in a domain of inquiry
These skills lie across the interfaces of engineering, the applied sciences (from Biology to Physics) and technology. You will be studying within a field that is developing rapidly at a world-leading university.
Fees and funding
Both of these awards offer full tuition and health insurance coverage and a generous stipend towards living expenses. They are offered annually in competition.
Please note that you will need to submit your application to either or both awards ahead of the deadline for your Harvard application. Kennedy Scholarship and Frank Knox Fellowship applications are to be made online via their websites between mid-August and late-October in the same application season as you will submit your application to Harvard. Awards made at interview in London in January are provisional, pending confirmation of a place on the course.
Qualification, course duration and attendance options
- full time9 months
- Campus-based learningis available for this qualification
Course contact details
- GSAS Admissions
- 001 617 496 6100