Applicants should have completed their bachelor's degree by the time they will begin their Masters.
Applications are to be made online via the Graduate School of Arts and Sciences. Applications to the Master of Engineering in CSE degree program for entry into the program in Fall 2020 will be available in September of 2019.
Months of entry
This is a closely-related program to the one-year Master in Computational Science and Engineering but with the addition of a second year majorly devoted to research. Additional research experience allows students to build research and technical skills, apply computation to a domain of interest, complete a substantial project with a research mentor, and demonstrate the ability to take a substantial project to completion.
A total of 16 courses are required, of which eight are thesis credits. The design of the program is based on ten learning outcomes. Each student's plan of study should address these outcomes, which answer the question: "What should a graduate of our CSE program be able to do."
- Frame a real-world problem such that it can be addressed computationally
- Evaluate multiple computational approaches to a problem and choose the most appropriate one
- Produce a computational solution to a problem that can be comprehended and used by others
- Communicate across disciplines
- Collaborate within teams
- Model systems appropriately with consideration of efficiency, cost, and the available data
- Use computation for reproducible data analysis
- Leverage parallel and distributed computing
- Build software and computational artifacts that are robust, reliable, and maintainable
- Enable a breakthrough in a domain of inquiry
Fees and funding
Both of these awards offer full tuition and health insurance coverage and a generous stipend towards living expenses. They are offered annually in competition.
Please note that you will need to submit your application to either or both awards ahead of the deadline for your Harvard application. Kennedy Scholarship and Frank Knox Fellowship applications are to be made online via their websites between mid-August and late-October in the same application season as you will submit your application to Harvard. Awards made at interview in London in January are provisional, pending confirmation of a place on the course.
Qualification, course duration and attendance options
- full time20 months
- Campus-based learningis available for this qualification
Course contact details
- GSAS Admissions
- 001 617 496 6100