- Applicants must be Health and Care Professions Council (HCPC) registered social workers who are currently employed in the sector.
- Applicants for the Stage 1 module must have two years' post-registration experience as a social worker.
- Direct applicants for the Stage 2 module must have three years' post-registration experience as a social worker.
- Applicants must be in a position to offer a social work placement in their workplace. They should have the consent of their employer to do this.
Months of entry
January, May, October
This course, for registered social workers, will enable you to gain Stage 1 and Stage 2 of the Practice Educator Professional Standards (PEPS) currently held by the British Association of Social Workers (BASW). It is ideal if you would like to develop the next generation of social workers by teaching them during practice placements. It will enable you to progress through the Professional Capabilities Framework (PCF) levels and develop your leadership skills. The course is aligned with Chief Social Workers' Knowledge and skills statements for practice leaders and practice supervisors.
This course is a well-established programme with a strong professional reputation. It has been developed in partnership with agencies in south-west London and Surrey and users of social work services.
What will you study
The programme starts with preparing you to work with a social work student on first placement (Stage 1). You will develop a practice curriculum for the placement and learn how to manage a placement, help the student learn and how to assess their achievement. You will put this into practice by providing a 70-day placement to a social work student. You will then reflect on your practice and evaluate your practice curriculum as part of the assessment for the first module.
In Stage 2, the second module, you will have the experience of providing a 100-day final placement to a social work student. There is a strong focus in this second module on developing your reflective supervision skills.
If you have significant experience in practice education, or you have taken an Enabling Others' Learning (Social Work) course you may be able to accredit your prior learning and experience (RP(E)L) and join the Stage 2 module directly.
Fees and funding
For information on funding, please visit: http://www.kingston.ac.uk/postgraduate-course/practice-education-postgraduate-certificate/fees-and-bursaries.html
Qualification, course duration and attendance options
- part time24 months
- Campus-based learningis available for this qualification
Course contact details
- Dale Van Graan
- +44 (0)20 8417 5669