Secondary Teaching leading to Qualified Teacher Status (QTS)
- A 2:2 honours degree relevant to your subject specialism (at least 50% of the degree content needs to be relevant to your chosen specialism).
- For the citizenship pathway: your degree should be in a subject that includes significant elements of social sciences or humanities subjects, for example politics, history, geography, philosophy, law, sociology and psychology).
- Proficiency in French, Spanish or German if applying for the modern languages specialism. We particularly welcome those who are able to offer a second potential teaching language. However, we give careful consideration to all applications and, very occasionally, accept applicants for the modern languages specialism with only one language.
- GCSE (A–C): English Language and Mathematics.
Note that you apply through UCAS Teacher Training for this course.
Months of entry
Want to make a difference to the lives of young people in the classroom? Train to teach in one year with our PGCE Secondary course. Our small cohorts ensure you have the personalised support you need to succeed in your future career as a teacher.
We will prepare you to teach secondary students with additional opportunities to develop your ability to teach at sixth-form level. This course will enable you to become an effective, inclusive and evidence informed teacher. The course is designed to model dynamic, flexible and responsive teaching which you can use in your own practice. You will benefit from two contrasting placements in our committed partnership of schools. You will spend two-thirds of your course in both placements.
You'll also benefit from a course that supports you in becoming a research-engaged teacher, who can use evidence to drive improvements in young people's learning and wellbeing.
In addition to gaining Qualified Teacher Status (QTS) in accordance with government standards, you will also receive the award of PGCE with 60 credits towards our Master of Research in Education (MRes), which you can continue with beyond your PGCE year.
Information for international students
All non-UK applicants must meet our English language requirements. For this course it is Academic IELTS of 6.5 overall with special conditions in all elements. Please make sure you read our full guidance about English language requirements, which includes details of other qualifications we'll consider.
Applicants from one of the recognised majority English speaking countries (MESCs) do not need to meet these requirements.
Qualification, course duration and attendance options
- full time12 months
- Campus-based learningis available for this qualification
Course contact details
- School of Education
- +44 (0)20 8417 5145