- A good honours degree with a significant proportion in Physics.
- GCSE Grade C (or 4, or accepted equivalent) in English and Mathematics. If you do not already have the appropriate GCSEs, or if you are unable to provide proof of your grades, we can accept GCSE Equivalency tests. Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org if you are unsure.
- Suitable personal and intellectual qualities required for teaching in secondary schools.
- Commitment, attitudes and values appropriate to that of a secondary teacher.
- The ability to read effectively and communicate clearly and accurately in spoken and written standard English.
- The capacity to meet the Secretary of State's requirements for physical and mental fitness to teach. All successful candidates will be asked to complete a health assessment as part of the entry conditions to the programme.
NB: Candidates with third-class honours degrees will be considered on an individual basis, and normally only if candidates have additional qualifications and/or significant relevant professional experience.
At Leeds Trinity, we treat every applicant on their own merits and value highly the experience you illustrate in your personal statement. Strong applicants also have experience in secondary schools.
For additional entry requirements, visit our website.
Months of entry
Teaching secondary-age children is your chance to share your passion for your subject and inspire the next generation.
Physics is one of the fundamental sciences that rely upon scientific methods to describe the natural world. Concepts taught in Phsyics apply continuously to people's ordinary lives as well as extraordinary research, bridging the particularly small sub-atomic particles to the immensely vast Universe. Physicists are also trained in highly valued skills such as problem-solving, ability to reason clearly, team working and creativity.
Physics-trained students can find job opportunities in lucrative career sectors such as engineering, geophysics, medicine, busines and finance, data analyst and project managers. This subject empowers students of all backgrounds to change their life.
Every child deserves to be taught by expert teachers who know not only their subject in detail but more importantly how to teach it. This is your chance to share your passion for your subject and inspire the next generation. We will also train you to be confident in teaching all three sciences thus including Biology and Chemistry to GCSE level. Our PGCE Science courses will give you the opportunity to deliver hands-on practical activities and in-depth explorations of the curriculum to best support your own teaching.
Our vision is to develop skilful and resilient teachers who are experts in science pedogoy, and 21st-century skills driven. We focus on subject-specific knowledge, up-to-date teaching practices which are based on the most recent research and most importantly, your specific needs as a trainee teacher.
All our PGCE Secondary courses lead to Qualified Teacher Status (QTS) and the award of a level 7 Postgraduate Certificate in Education.
Our PGCE Science courses will give you the opportunity to deliver hands-on practical activities and in-depth explorations of the curriculum to best support your own teaching.
Our PGCE Secondary Science with Physics course prepares you to teach in the 11 – 16 age phase. It may be possible to gain experience of teaching post 16 during your PGCE and the qualification does not preclude you from teaching post 16 once employed. There are two stages to your PGCE Secondary Science with Physics course. For more information, visit our website.
Why study with us?
Leeds Trinity University is a well-established and widely respected higher education institution with an excellent reputation for training teachers to work in primary and secondary education settings.
As the premier provider of teacher training in Yorkshire and the Humber region, we offer outstanding courses with strong school partnerships for aspiring teachers.
We offer a variety of routes into the teaching profession, as well as a wide variety of subjects and age phases. So you can select the route best suited for you and your future teaching career.
Qualification, course duration and attendance options
- full time12 months
- Campus-based learningis available for this qualification
Course contact details
- Admissions team
- 0113 283 7123