About Liverpool John Moores University
Postgraduate taught and research opportunities at Liverpool John Moores University (LJMU)
LJMU offers a supportive, flexible academic environment with well-structured postgraduate programmes and access to extensive resources and facilities.
Offering over 160 postgraduate courses in a wide variety of disciplines, including the arts, humanities, education, health, business, law, science, engineering and technology, LJMU’s programmes are delivered by academics actively involved in research or consultancy projects.
It is this combination of academic expertise and ‘real world’ experience that ensures LJMU courses prepare students for the world of work, enabling them to enjoy fulfilling and successful careers.
Find out more about LJMU's postgraduate courses and research opportunities.
Six things you should know about Liverpool John Moores University (LJMU)
- Founded in 1823, LJMU is ranked in the top 500 higher education institutions in the world (THE World University Ranking 2022)
- 96% of LJMU postgraduate students are in work or further study within 15 months after graduating (Graduate Outcome Survey 2020)
- The University is a leading research institution, with 96% of its research rated as international quality or better in the latest REF (2014)
- The University welcomes staff and students from over 100 countries worldwide
- Liverpool is ranked in the top 10 cheapest UK cities to rent a place to live, top five cheapest for household bills costs and top three cheapest for eating a takeaway in the NatWest Student Living Index 2021
- LJMU students are entitled to free off-peak access to LJMU’s brand new gym and Sport Centre, which opened in 2021. They also get exclusive offers to events at Tate Liverpool, Sound City, the Liverpool Philharmonic Orchestra, Everyman & Playhouse, the Royal Court and other leading cultural organisations.
A world-class city
This former European Capital of Culture and UNESCO World Heritage Site has something for everyone and when it comes to welcomes, you can expect the very warmest here.
- Liverpool is a friendly, multicultural place to study.
- Food and drink: Liverpool has cool cafés, well-stocked supermarkets, reasonably priced restaurants and excellent eateries to suit every taste and budget. The city also has a huge choice of pubs, nightclubs, bars and coffee shops where you can enjoy great conversation and music.
- Shopping: From the high street stores and designer outlets in Liverpool One and Met Quarter, to the independent boutiques on Bold Street and the Georgian Quarter, Liverpool is famous for its shopping.
- Music: As the home of The Beatles and ‘world capital of pop’ (Liverpool World Capital City of Pop, Guinness Book of Records), it will come as no surprise that Liverpool has a great music scene. Annual festivals include Africa Oyé, Sound City, Brazilica and the Liverpool International Music Festival. You can also listen to live music in a host of venues.
- Art and culture: Famous for being the British city with the most museums and galleries outside of London, Liverpool’s art scene is wonderfully diverse, from the world-renowned collections of the Walker Art Gallery and Tate Liverpool to the Open Eye Gallery, FACT, Bluecoat and Biennial.
- Green spaces: The city has lots of beautiful parks and is just a short drive away from Crosby Beach, Southport, Formby and the world class beauty spots of Snowdonia and the English Lake District
A postgraduate qualification from LJMU will help you fulfil your professional ambitions, boosting your career development and future earnings. LJMU offers a range of postgraduate qualifications, from PgDip/Cert (Postgraduate Diploma or Certificate) to Doctorates, in each of its five faculties:
- Faculty of Arts, Professional and Social Studies, which includes the Schools of: Art & Design, Education, Humanities and Social Studies, Justice Studies and its Screen School
- Faculty of Business and Law, which includes the Liverpool Business School and the School of Law
- Faculty of Engineering and Technology, which includes the Schools of: Astrophysics, Civil Engineering and Built Environment, Computer Science and Mathematics, and Engineering (including Maritime)
- Faculty of Health, which includes the Schools of: Nursing and Allied Health, Psychology and the Public Health Institute
- Faculty of Science, which includes the Schools of: Biological and Environmental Sciences, Pharmacy and Biomolecular Sciences, and Sport and Exercise Sciences
- Each faculty is also home to its respective research centres.
Degree preparation courses for international students
The LJMU International Study Centre offers Pre-Masters programmes which provide direct access to Business, Management and Law or Engineering and Computing courses for overseas students.
Funding for taught masters students
It is very important to be aware of available sources of funding before you decide to embark on further study. LJMU staff can help you find up-to-date information about funding opportunities and, of course, give you all the information you need about programmes fees.
For more information contact the Money Advice Team
Postgraduate Masters loans are available for the 2022/23 academic year. They will be available for those studying eligible full and part-time masters programmes. See details of loan terms, conditions and eligibility.
LJMU Alumni Award
Home LJMU graduates may be entitled to a 20% reduction in tuition fees* for postgraduate courses. You can find out more about the LJMU Alumni Award here.
Funding for research degrees (PhD scholarships)
There are two types of scholarship available:
- fully funded PhD scholarship
- fees-only PhD scholarship
For more information, see the PhD scholarship webpage
*subject to eligibility
Postgraduate scholarships are available for international students.
The scholarships offer tuition fee discounts. See eligibility criteria and details of how to apply.
LJMU carries out research via its acclaimed research institutes and centres, which support innovative new approaches crossing traditional academic boundaries and challenging conventional thinking. The success of this strategy was reflected in LJMU’s strong performance in the latest Research Excellence Framework (REF, 2014).
Research and scholarship activities are central to the student experience, informing the curriculum at all levels and providing exceptional academic support.
Did you know?
- LJMU’s School of Sport and Exercise Sciences is a world-leader in its field thanks to its award-winning public engagement activities, innovative teaching and acclaimed research and applied consultancy services
- 96% of LJMU research is rated as of international quality or above (REF 2014)
Join LJMU’s vibrant research community
LJMU strongly encourages multi-disciplinary research and actively supports collaboration with institutions across the world. It offers research students the opportunity to become part of a vibrant research community, delivering world-leading and internationally excellent research right across the institution. Supervision is available in each of the five Faculties. The university also offers Professional Doctorates, an alternative to a PhD, for staff in organisations who want to research and develop their professional practice at doctorate level.
See more information about MPhil and PhD programmes here.
The website also has further details of research carried out in the University’s centres and institutes.
A dedicated Doctoral Academy
For advice on progressing to a PhD, information about examinations and research degree regulations or assistance with ethical approval, LJMU’s Doctoral Academy is the one-stop-shop for postgraduate expertise.
All LJMU research students are assigned a dedicated supervisory team to support and guide them through their research and, when it comes to academic expertise, the Academy offers a research induction programme plus generic skills training sessions throughout the year. You can find out more about current research opportunities.
LJMU has two libraries, which even offer late opening hours during the semesters. The libraries’ extensive print collections, professional journals and electronic catalogue offer all the resources required to keep up to date with the latest developments.
LJMU postgraduates are highly sought after by employers and 96% are in work or further study 15 months after graduation (Graduate Outcome Survey 2020). LJMU enjoys close links with employers operating in all sectors of the economy and has highly effective relationships with a wide range of organisations across the region, including councils, NHS trusts, charities, community and youth groups, schools, environmental groups, arts and culture companies, tourism bodies and leisure providers. These partnerships are crucial in helping postgraduate students forge links with key contacts working in their specialist fields.
Dedicated student support services
The University’s expert staff work hard to ensure every student gets the support they need to succeed, both before they arrive at LJMU and during their studies.
- Students are allocated a personal tutor, or supervisor for research students, to oversee personal and general academic progress and offer advice
- Personal development planning is integrated into every course
- Free study skills courses and workshops on IT skills, academic writing, numeracy and maths support, revision skills and referencing take place throughout the academic year
- There are free academic English courses for non-native English-speaking students
- The Spiritual Support team provides confidential pastoral care and support to students of all beliefs and backgrounds
- Multi-faith prayer rooms are available for personal prayer, reflection and contemplation
- A free, confidential Counselling Service is available on an individual or group basis
- The University provides disability support for students with additional needs as a result of a medical condition, disability or specific learning difficulty such as dyslexia or dyspraxia
Find out more about the support on offer.
LJMU recognises that postgraduate students often prefer a quieter study and living environment. That's why the University offers designated accommodation for postgraduate students.
- Social media accounts