About Liverpool John Moores University
Postgraduate taught and research opportunities at LJMU
Ranked as one of the top universities worldwide, Liverpool John Moores offers a supportive, flexible academic environment, well-structured postgraduate programmes and round-the-clock access to extensive resources.
The University’s wide range of disciplines, spans the arts, humanities, education, health, science and technology and all postgraduate programmes are delivered by academics actively involved in research or consultancy projects.
One of the UK’s leading higher education institutions for interaction with business and the community, LJMU is ranked in the top 40 UK universities for staff and graduate start-up companies and in the top 20 for spin-off companies.
It is this combination of academic expertise and ‘real world’ experience that ensures LJMU courses prepare students for the world of work, enabling them to enjoy fulfilling and successful careers.
Find out more about LJMU postgraduate courses and research opportunities.
Seven things you should know about LJMU
- Founded in 1823, LJMU is ranked in the top 600 higher education institutions in the world. (THE World University Ranking 2015/16)
- 98% of LJMU postgraduate students are in work or further study within six months of graduating, with over 96% securing professional roles (DLHE 2014)
- The University is a leading research institution, with 96% of its research rated as international quality or better (REF 2014)
- LJMU is ranked in the top 25 English universities for PhD completion rates
- The University welcomes staff and students from over 100 countries worldwide
- The city of Liverpool is rated as one of the top 10 cities in the world (Rough Guides 2014)
- LJMU students are entitled to free off-peak access to Lifestyles Fitness Centres across Liverpool and get exclusive offers to events at Tate Liverpool, Sound City, the Liverpool Philharmonic Orchestra, Everyman & Playhouse, the Royal Court and other leading cultural organisations
A world-class city
Liverpool is ranked in the top 10 cities to visit in the world by travel guide guru Rough Guides and it’s not hard to see why. This former European Capital of Culture and UNESCO World Heritage Site has something for everyone. And when it comes to welcomes, you can expect the very warmest here - as Liverpool is also rated as one of the UK’s friendliest cities.
- Liverpool is a welcoming, multicultural place to study
- Food and drink: Liverpool has restaurants, cafes, supermarkets and grocery stores to suit every budget. The city also boasts a huge choice of pubs, nightclubs, alcohol-free bars and coffee shops
- Shopping: From the high street favourites of Liverpool One to the designer stores of the Met Quarter and the independent boutiques of Bold Street, Liverpool is a shopaholic’s dream
- Music: A UNESCO ‘world city of music’, Liverpool has a music scene that’s much bigger than the Beatles. Live music fans are in for a treat here
- Art and culture: The city’s art scene is wonderfully diverse, from the world-renowned collections of the Walker Art Gallery and Tate Liverpool to the Open Eye Gallery, FACT, Bluecoat and Biennial. Other highlights include the Arabic Arts Fest, the Irish Festival, the Liverpool Comedy festival and Brouhaha, Liverpool’s very own carnival
- Green spaces: The city has lots of beautiful parks and is just a short drive away from Crosby beach. Southport, Formby, Snowdonia and the Lake District are easily accessible by car
A postgraduate qualification from LJMU will help you fulfil your professional ambitions, boosting your career development and future earnings. LJMU offers a range of taught programmes (PGCE, PGDE, MA, MBA, MSc, MRes) in each of the four Faculties:
Degree preparation courses for international students
The LJMU International Study Centre offers Pre-Masters programmes which provide direct access to Business, Management and Law or Engineering and Computing courses for overseas students.
For more information take a look at these web pages or call the International Study Centre on + 44 (0) 1273 339333 (please omit the zero if dialling from outside the UK). Student Enrolment Advisers will do their best to contact you in your preferred language.
Funding for taught masters students
It is very important to be aware of the sources of funding available before you embark on further study. LJMU staff can help you find up-to-date information about funding opportunities and, of course, give you all the information you need about programmes fees.
For more information contact the Student Advice Team: email@example.com or call 0151 231 3153 / 3154
Postgraduate Masters loans are available for the 2016/17 academic year. The new loans, of up to £10,000, will be available for students attending eligible full and part-time Masters courses, in line with the existing qualification framework for England. Administered by the Student Loan Company, the loans will be available to those under 60 at the start of their course. Details of loan terms, conditions and eligibility.
LJMU Alumni Award
All LJMU graduates are entitled to a 20% reduction in tuition fees for postgraduate courses. You can find out more about the LJMU Alumni Award here.
Funding for research degrees (PhD scholarships)
There are two types of scholarship available:
- fully-funded PhD scholarship
- fees-only PhD scholarship
For more information, see the PhD scholarship webpage
Postgraduate Scholarships are available to exceptional new students joining the University in 2016/2017, including students progressing from the LJMU International Study Centre.
The Scholarships offer full or partial tuition fee waivers. See eligibility criteria and details of how to apply.
English for Postgraduate Studies bursary
Bursaries are available for those needing to increase their IELTS score by 0.5 to enrol on a postgraduate programme. Find out how to apply.
LJMU carries out research via its acclaimed research institutes and centres, which support innovative new approaches crossing traditional academic boundaries and challenging conventional thinking. The success of this strategy was reflected in LJMU’s strong performance in the 2014 Research Excellence Framework (REF).
Research and scholarship activities are central to the student experience, informing the curriculum at all levels and providing exceptional academic experiences.
Did you know?
- LJMU’s School of Sport and Exercise Sciences is a world-leader in its field thanks to its award-winning public engagement activities, innovative teaching and acclaimed research and applied consultancy services.
- The University is ranked 62 in the UK for research excellence
- 96% of LJMU research is rated as of international quality or above
Join LJMU’s vibrant research community
LJMU strongly encourages multi-disciplinary research and actively supports collaboration with institutions across the world. It offers research students the opportunity to become part of a vibrant research community, delivering world-leading and internationally-excellent research right across the institution. Supervision is available in each of the four Faculties and the University also offers Professional Doctorates, an alternative to a PhD, for staff in organisations who want to research and develop their professional practice at doctorate level.
LJMU is ranked in the top 25 English universities for PhD completion rates, and research students form the bedrock of a vibrant research community. Around 600 students are currently completing an MPhil or PhD at the University. See more information about MPhil and PhD programmes here.
The website also has further details of research carried out in the University’s centres and institutes
A dedicated Graduate School
For advice on progressing to a PhD, information about examinations and research degree regulations or assistance with ethical approval, LJMU’s Graduate School is the one-stop-shop for postgraduate expertise.
All LJMU research students are assigned a dedicated supervisory team to support and guide them through their research and, when it comes to academic expertise, the School offers a research induction programme plus generic skills training sessions throughout the year. You can find out more about current research opportunities here.
From lecture theatres, labs and classrooms to award-winning campus buildings, LJMU has invested over £160 million over the last 10 years to ensure all students receive the highest possible university experience. And LJMU is set to transform the student experience yet further, when its opens its showcase £100 million Copperas Hill building in 2018.
Current University facilities include:
- The £37 million Redmonds Building, with its industry standard film and broadcasting studios
- State-of-the-art clinical practice suites for health students, which provide a range of authentic environments, from an ambulance interior to an hospital accident and emergency department and a delivery suite
LJMU has three campuses
- The Mount Pleasant campus is home to the Faculty of Arts, Professional and Social Sciences, the International Student Centre and the Aldham Robarts Library. It is located in Liverpool city centre.
- The city campus, also located in the city centre, is home to the Faculty of Science, the Faculty of Engineering and Technology, health courses in the Faculty of Education, Health and Community and the Avril Robarts Library
- The IM Marsh campus is located a few miles outside the city and is home to students following education-related courses in the Faculty of Education, Health and Community. In addition to its own library, IM Marsh has a wide range of sports facilities.
LJMU has three libraries, with two offering 24/7 opening hours during semesters. The libraries’ extensive print collections, professional journals and electronic catalogue offer all the resources required to keep up-to-date with the latest developments.
Student Administration Centres
A Student Administration Centre is based in each of the LJMU libraries and acts as a single point of access to information and advice at the University. Students can complete all administrative transactions in one location, dealing with issues relating to enrolment, tuition fees, student ID cards, council tax, submitting coursework and assignments, teaching and exam timetables, and networked PCs and applications. Centre staff can also signpost other University services for example, those dealing with finance, childcare and academic issues.
LJMU postgraduates are highly sought after by employers and over 98% are in work or further study six months after graduation. LJMU enjoys close links with employers operating in all sectors of the economy and has highly-effective relationships with a wide-range of organisations across the region, including councils, NHS trusts, charities, community and youth groups, schools, environmental groups, arts and culture companies, tourism bodies and leisure providers. These partnerships are crucial in helping postgraduate students forge links with key contacts working in their specialist fields.
Dedicated student support services
The University’s expert staff work hard to ensure every student gets the support they need to succeed, both before they arrive at LJMU and during their studies.
- Students are allocated a personal tutor, or supervisor for research students, to oversee personal and general academic progress and offer advice
- Personal development planning is integrated into every course
- Free study skills courses and workshops on IT skills, academic writing, numeracy and maths support, revision skills and referencing take place throughout the academic year.
- There are free academic English courses for non-native English-speaking students
- The Spiritual Support team provides confidential pastoral care and support to students of all beliefs and backgrounds
- Multi-faith prayer rooms are available for personal prayer, reflection and contemplation
- A free, confidential Counselling Service is available on an individual or group basis
- The University provides disability support for students with additional needs as a result of a medical condition, disability or specific learning difficulty such as dyslexia or dyspraxia.
Find out more about the support on offer here.
LJMU recognises that postgraduate students often prefer a quieter study and living environment. That's why the University offers designated accommodation for postgraduate students.
- Social media accounts