A minimum of a 2:1 Honours degree, the subject area does not matter as number of students undertake the course as part of a career change
For Surveying graduates/professionals
- A minimum of a 2:1 Honours degree in a Surveying subject, or
- Corporate membership of a professional body concerned with property or construction, for example, CIOB, RIBA, RTPI, CIOH or other relevant body of equal standing.
- An applicant who is offered a place on the course may seek credit for recent prior academic qualification or professional experience. The applicant should expect to demonstrate to the satisfaction of the Course Director and Module Coordinator substantial relevant knowledge and skills at least equivalent to Level 6 or Level 7 as appropriate to those modules for which credit is being sought. Applications should be made before the commencement of the semester in which the particular modules are being offered.
- Please note however, that if you are granted any APEL/APL which allows you module exemption you will be ineligible for a Student Finance England Postgraduate Loan. If you have already started to receive loan instalments and you are then granted module exemption, the University has a duty to inform SFE that you are no longer eligible for the loan and no further loan payments will be made.
Part-time additional requirements
The P/T mode requires the student to be in employment related to Building Surveying (a reference from the employer will be required)
Admissions based on experience
Applicants who do not meet this requirement will be considered for entry on the basis of the length and quality of their employment experience in areas cognate to surveying and construction. Evidence of this will be required in support of any application made.
Months of entry
The Building Surveying programme is for those involved in the maintenance, refurbishment, alteration and extension of existing buildings, or in project management and design for public bodies, commercial organisations and professional practice firms.
- If you hold an undergraduate Surveying degree, you should apply for the ‘Surveying graduates’ route as you will study fewer modules; your previous study will be taken into account.
- If you do not hold an undergraduate Surveying degree, you should apply for our ‘Conversion’ course
For either of the above routes, you can opt to study either a full Masters qualification or a PGDip (without dissertation) qualification. Please note: Postgraduate loan funding via Student Finance England, is only available for students taking full Masters courses without any module exemptions. PGDip courses are ineligible for this scheme.
Information for international students
Please see the English language requirements.
Fees and funding
Please see the postgraduate funding page.
Qualification and course duration
Further details of qualification
The plus indicates the durations do not include dissertation length.
Course contact details
- Course Enquiries Office
- +44 (0) 20 7815 6100