You will normally have at least an upper second-class undergraduate UK honours degree (or international equivalent) in TESOL, Linguistics, English Language, English, Education or a related/compatible subject or combination of subjects. Candidates with a lower second-class degree or degrees from unrelated disciplines are however encouraged to apply and will be considered on their merits, as will people with non-traditional qualifications. Some teaching experience is desirable, but not essential, provided applicants can show evidence of sustained interest in TESOL.
Months of entry
You will be equipped with the skills essential for a career in one of the world’s fastest growing professions. The course is delivered by expert lecturers with many years of experience in English language teaching and postgraduate supervision. Teaching is learner-centred, using the latest techniques. You will combine the study of theories, methods and materials with a detailed analysis of language and an awareness of practical research methods.
The course is available to distance learning students via the internet. You can participate in the programme through an international forum following the same units as you would if attending in person (with the exception of our Uniwide language units). Teaching and learning is tailored for distance-learning students and includes online discussion groups and tutorials.
Features and benefits of the course
- Fereshte Goshtasbpour is the subject advisor for the MA Languages programme. A successful graduate, she has subject-specific insight into the requirements of students and offers a range of workshops tailored precisely to the programme.
- Study in a truly international environment. Recent courses have had students from Bangladesh, China, Egypt, Germany, Iran, Korea, Libya, Norway, Pakistan, Poland, Russia, Saudi Arabia, Taiwan and Thailand.
- Benefit from a strong focus on the practical realities of classroom teaching and learning, using a problem-solving approach.
- Teaching is in small classes, allowing a good balance of individual, team and group work. You will have the opportunity to join in seminars involving discussion, debates, presentations, video-based activities, and practical research projects.
- Receive guidance throughout your studies, including extensive support in the form of tutorials, feedback on assignments, writing and study skills sessions, dissertation workshops, study group feedback and personal consultations to help you make the most of your studies.
- Extra support for academic writing available to all students through The Writing Project and also specifically for International students through Coaching for Academic English.
Information for international students
For more information to support your studies in the UK, including course details, how to apply, and living in the UK visit our website.
Fees and funding
Qualification and course duration
Course contact details
- Course Enquiries Team
- +44 (0) 161 247 6969