You should have an honours degree from the UK or the ROI. We may also consider your application if you do not have a degree, but have appropriate professional experience.
International students with a degree are eligible to apply as long as equivalence to a UK/ROI honours degree can be demonstrated. For further information, please visit mmu.ac.uk/international.
Months of entry
Our Graduate Diploma in Law is a conversion course designed to give non-law graduates a route into the legal profession. As such, in just one year, you can achieve an academic legal qualification that will lay down the foundations for a career in law.
Throughout the course, there is a strong focus on both the fundamental knowledge and the practical legal skills you’ll need to pursue a future in the sector. Above all, the course offers a well-rounded introduction to law and a great stepping-stone to further qualifications. From here, you can look ahead to the Bar Training Course to become a barrister, if that’s the career path you want to follow.
Building your legal knowledge
You will study a range of topics covering the core areas of law, from contract law and criminal law, to equities and trusts, while there’s also a unit designed to prepare you for the practicalities of the legal profession. Across it all, you’ll learn from a team that includes experienced legal professionals who understand what you need to succeed in the field. And, with high levels of face-to-face teaching and an open-door policy for academic advice and pastoral guidance, you can count on the support of your tutors during your time with us.
Features and Benefits
- Fast-track academic legal qualification – convert your existing non-law undergraduate degree, or extensive work experience, into a recognised academic legal qualification in just one year.
- Pro bono work – put your legal skills and knowledge to the test by volunteering with our pro bono partners, giving you valuable experience before starting work.
- Mooting opportunities – we have a thriving mooting and advocacy community in the law school, offering you the opportunity to take part in regular debates and competitions.
- Moot Court Room – our state-of-the-art moot courtroom, opened in autumn 2021, supports the development of our students’ legal advocacy. Sitting in the heart of the law school building, it’s a major focal point in our law school community.
- Law school experience – study surrounded by other law students and supported by an expert teaching team, and join our Law Society for networking, guest lectures and social events.
- A legal hub – Manchester has a dynamic legal sector. We have close links with the Northern Circuit and our courses are well respected by national law firms.
- Legal experts – learn from experienced professionals and get your legal education off to the best start. They know what it takes to succeed.
- Ready for work – you’ll develop the professional skills you need to forge a career in law. Your previous education and experience will add an extra dimension to your CV.
Information for international students
International students please visit our website for more information.
Fees and funding
Funding information available, please visit our website.
Qualification, course duration and attendance options
- full time12 months
- Campus-based learningis available for this qualification
Course contact details
- Course Enquiries
- +44 (0)161 247 6969