- We normally require a second class honours degree 2:2 or above in computer science, science or engineering
- Candidates with other degrees but with relevant work experience will also be considered.
If you have relevant qualifications or work experience, academic credit may be awarded towards your Middlesex University programme of study. For further information please visit our Accreditation of Prior Learning page.
Months of entry
From national security to the privacy of personal communications, the smooth running of societies and economies depends on the security of computer networks. With a security breach potentially costing a company millions, highly skilled experts who can provide protection are sought-after across the globe. Technology is constantly developing and security issues are too, making this a challenging and rapidly evolving specialism.
Why study MSc Network Security and Pen Testing at Middlesex?
This course provides both intensive practical training and a profound theoretical education, extending beyond the technicalities of network security to cover strategic and organisational issues. During your studies, you will work with our LTE test bed and Blade Server, and you will learn how to access and configure cloud-based networks.
You will be encouraged to learn, explore and work within our award-winning technology centre and its five specialist laboratories equipped with the latest industry-standard hardware and software, including OPNET, Wireshark, MATLAB, Simulink, OpNet Modeller 17.0, OMNeT++ , NI and Cisco technology such as Packet Tracer.
Practical work is an important part of every module, and unless you're already in employment, we'll encourage and support you to finding a placement for up to 12 weeks, during which you'll work on your independent research project.
Our strong research profile ensures our courses remain innovative. We have developed our own WSN, Senso LAB, and have also undertaken notable research in areas such as MIMO, LTE and LTE Advanced
The course is designed for those students who have previously studied computing at university level or who are currently working in the sector, and are looking to develop an advanced mastery of the subject.Course highlights
- You'll have the opportunity to gain practical experience in our industry-standard networking labs
- We encourage students to explore new concepts and developments and were delighted when three of our students were crowned winners at the Young Professional Engineering Challenge
- Middlesex University is an official Cisco Academy and as part of your studies, you'll have the chance to work towards a Cisco CCNA professional certification
- As a student of this course you'll receive a free electronic textbook for every module.
Fees and funding
Qualification and course duration
Course contact details