Applicants must demonstrate entrepreneurship, or current involvement in the development of an existing business. This experience could be:
- Building a company
- Raising finance for a project
- Developing or implementing a new venture within a company
- Planning a new business or business venture
- Investing in an entrepreneurial activity
- Working for a media company that encourages entrepreneurship
- Working as a professional advisor (lawyer, accountant, agent) in the creative industries
While many applicants will have a degree from a British or overseas university, we will consider applicants who do not have a degree if they have an impressive portfolio, a creative track record or an alternative qualification.
Months of entry
Would you like to start your own creative business?
This course gives you all the tools to launch the media businesses of the future – whether in games, film, TV, theatre, film, television, music or digital entertainment. You will meet dozens of major players from every sector of entertainment across a busy, two-year MA. You'll learn the basics of industry operations - from how to have winning creative ideas to business models, to marketing, raising finance, digital distribution, legal agreements, talent, technology and more.
The course is taught by players from across the creative industries. It comprises two days per week of tutor-led seminars. These are combined with reading, assignment work, and self-led research tasks to be conducted outside the classroom in the student’s own time. You not only learn from the best – but also have the chance to develop a superb network of contacts that can last a lifetime, and the opportunity to pitch projects to experienced investors in the second year.
Creative Business makes the most of both the thriving NFTS campus in Beaconsfield, and our office in the heart of London's Soho, right where many entertainment firms are located. That means you’ll benefit not only from London’s ‘global hub’ but also the School’s state-of-the-art facilities. We've designed the MA to allow students to study while pursuing their own business interests throughout the course.
What You Will Study
Over the course of the two years, participants looking to set up or build upon their own existing business will expect to learn:
- The business and creative dynamics of each of the seven domains - film, TV, games, theatre, publishing, digital content and music
- The personal and professional tools needed to set up and run their own business in the entertainment industry
- How to analyse a market, negotiate deals and build and execute a business plan
As a graduate – you’ll leave with a fully worked-through business proposal or plan that has been taken to investors, partners and has been mentored by a dynamic business leader in the field. You’ll also leave with a network of contacts across the whole media industry.
Participants already working within a business can expect to develop further:
- A 360-degree view of the creative business sectors adjacent to their own existing specialisation
- Management, legal, accountancy and planning skills that are key to the development of any business and of their own careers
- A fully worked-through proposal for a new venture, a new division, or a new solution to an existing project or business plan proposal in need of development
Information for international students
This course is open to UK/EU/International students.
Fees and funding
Please visit our website for fees information. All production costs are included in the course fees, including the use of School facilities and equipment.
The NFTS is committed to ensuring it is open to students of genuine ability, no matter what their background or financial circumstances, which is why we award more scholarships and bursaries to British students, relative to the size of our student body, than almost any other educational institution in the UK.
Qualification, course duration and attendance options
- full time24 months
- Campus-based learningis available for this qualification
Course contact details
- Course Enquiries