A proven interest in multi-camera production and television entertainment plus a willingness to work as part of a team are essential. We are looking for people who are practically minded and who have a good general education although there are no specific educational requirements for this course.
While many applicants will have a degree from a British or overseas university, we will consider applicants who do not have a degree if they have an impressive portfolio, a creative track record or an alternative qualification.
Months of entry
Do you want to work with high-end broadcast sound equipment to bring great TV shows to life?
This unique 12-month Postgraduate Diploma course aims to prepare you for a successful future as a sound recordist and mixer in multi-camera broadcasting. It is run in partnership with Sky, the UK’s largest pay-TV broadcaster.
You will closely collaborate with students on other courses to shoot multi-camera TV productions in our state-of-the-art 4K television studio, training to mic and mix multiple genres including sport, music and drama. Our studio is equipped with a Studer Vista sound mixing desk and during your six week internship at Sky, you will train on other industry standard equipment including CalRec desks, whilst working on current Sky productions.
Sound for Television Production is a specialism within our Cameras, Sound and Vision Mixing for Television Production Postgraduate Diploma.
Sky guarantees to employ at least one graduating camera operator, sound recordist or vision mixer each year.
What You Will Study
- Learn how to choose and place microphones for the best results for a variety of shows including live music.
- Train to use ‘Fisher booms’ - in great demand for sitcoms and soaps - to pick up drama dialogue.
- Mix studio sound in real time using sophisticated broadcast desks.
- Enhance the show with spot effects, music cues and audio processing to create atmosphere and energy.
- Learn how to manage TV comms including studio talkback systems allowing key production team members to communicate and collaborate effectively.
Information for international students
This course is open to UK/EU/International students.
Fees and funding
Please visit our website for fees information. All production costs are included in the course fees, including the use of School facilities and equipment.
The NFTS is committed to ensuring it is open to students of genuine ability, no matter what their background or financial circumstances, which is why we award more scholarships and bursaries to British students, relative to the size of our student body, than almost any other educational institution in the UK.
Qualification, course duration and attendance options
- full time12 months
- Campus-based learningis available for this qualification
Course contact details
- Course Enquiries