Visit the institution website for COVID‑19 updates
A 2:2 BEng honours degree, or international equivalent, in:
- electrical and electronic engineering
- computer engineering
- mechanical engineering
- communications or information and control engineering.
Relevant professional experience is desirable, although not essential.
We will consider your application on an individual basis if you have lower or non-standard qualifications and significant, relevant professional experience.
Months of entry
Our Automation and Control MSc is a multidisciplinary course that prepares you for a career as a design or development engineer in control and automated systems.
About this course
This course will provide you with a broad coverage of all of the major disciplines in automation and control. It will also prepare you for a career in a a wide range of industrial sectors.
Our MSc is designed for both practising professionals and new graduates in electrical and electronic engineering and other related engineering disciplines.
You will learn through innovative educational techniques designed to equip you with practical design skills and research methodologies - crucial for industry and further research studies (PhD).
The MSc provides an advanced education that includes:
- a focus on fundamentals in automation
- control and practical application in industry
Core learning includes:
- linear controller design and state space with Matlab applications
- industrial automation, PLCs and robotics
- distributed control systems
- digital control systems
- application of engineering and computing expertise to investigate a complex problem through an individual project
The flexible nature of this programme allows you to specialise in one of two streams:
Control Systems Stream
Developed to provide a thorough understanding of key areas of control systems, including:
- control of electric drive systems
- robust and adaptive control systems (concepts and design).
Focusing on aspects of mechatronics (systems and design), including:
- instrumentation and drive systems
- mechatronics and mobile robotics.
Information for international students
To study this course you need to meet our Band 1 English Language Requirements.
Direct Entry: IELTS 6.0 overall (with a minimum of 5.5 in all sub-skills).
If you have lower English Language scores, you may be accepted onto a Pre-sessional English course.
Fees and funding
See our course fees and funding web page in our online Prospectus.
Qualification, course duration and attendance options
- full time12 months
- Campus-based learningis available for this qualification
Course contact details
- School of Engineering
- +44 (0) 191 208 6163