Visit the institution website for COVID‑19 updates
- You will need an undergraduate degree equivalent to a UK undergraduate honours degree or other equivalent higher education qualification e.g. HND / DipHE.
- Applicants without such qualifications will be considered but will be required to evidence relevant work experience in a related field, and demonstrate their motivation and ability to study at postgraduate level.
All suitable applicants will be interviewed as part of the admissions process – either face-to-face, or by phone or Skype for those applicants living overseas. The interview process will explore the applicant’s understanding and interest in the following areas:
- career development and guidance, often evidenced by visiting a guidance provider or by relevant work experience
- commitment to a “career in career”, evidenced as above
- an insight into the demands of the sector for practitioners working in the profession
- intellectual ability, and the ability to manage the demands of postgraduate study.
DBS checks are mandatory for this course. If a DBS check indicates that a student is unsuitable to work with young people or vulnerable adults, their case will be reported to the Dean of the School of Social Sciences and the student will be required to withdraw from the course.
Months of entry
The MA / Postgraduate Certificate in Career Development course is designed to equip you with the skills, qualities and knowledge required of a professional practitioner working in the career development and employability sector, enabling you to meet the needs of clients in a variety of settings.
The curriculum offers flexibility – you have the choice of studying a MA Career Development full-time or a Postgraduate Certificate by blended learning, and there are module options to help you develop specialisms. This course is ideal if you’re looking to find employment in the sector, or are already employed in a career development or related role and seek Continuing Professional Development opportunities (CPD).
Rather than commit to the full MA, you can choose to study a Postgraduate Certificate (PG Cert) in Career Development. Those studying on the full-time MA will have the option of completing the Qualification in Career Development (QCD) award accredited by the Career Development Institute (CDI) professional body.
Qualification, course duration and attendance options
- full time18 months
- Campus-based learningis available for this qualification
- part time6 months
- Distance learningis available for this qualification
Course contact details
- School of Social Sciences
- +44 (0) 115 848 4460