You must have: A UK BSc/BA degree, or equivalent learning experience, from a recognised international institution, or a professional qualification applicable to health or social care; evidence of recent study (within last five years) at degree or equivalent level; 6 months' experience as a student, employee or volunteer within the health/social care sector (European or International; public, private or voluntary). If you do not hold a UK BSc/BA degree or equivalent overseas degree from a recognised institution, you should contact the Programme Administrator for further information. Please also see the university's general entry requirements.
Months of entry
The MSc Management in Health and Social Care offers you the opportunity to understand ongoing changes and developments in health and social care policy and the operational environment at local, national and international levels. It will challenge you to realise your potential and:
- build your knowledge of the core functions of management and leadership including developing service redesign and business plans, and building skills for operational management of resources
- examine policy and strategy in a variety of health and social care settings
- develop and apply leadership capability to motivate, influence and engage key players
- gain and apply research skills
- expand your networks.
The design of this course should provide you with a sound understanding of the operational environment of health and social care organisations through exploring the core modules:
- Finance in Health and Social Care [P44813] - exploring financial flows, controls and application to business/service development
- Operational Management in Health and Social Care [P44811] - understanding the relationship between system design, demand and capacity management
- Human Resource Management in Health and Social Care [P44816] - exploring the relationship of organisational design, people management and HRM approach impact on capability and competency to deliver organisational goals
- Leadership in Health and Social Care [P44820] - exploring the utilisation and impact of leadership on organisations and teams with a clear focus on gaining understanding of your own leadership practice and development and its enhancement.
- P49215 Dissertation or P44812 Project Management . These modules enable you to develop a more specialised and deeper understanding of management in the health and social sector. Before starting one of these two modules you will study a specially designed research/ project management methods module to give you the relevant knowledge and skills to help you.
- Alongside the core modules there is also choice of an acceptable module allowing you to tailor your study to your specific interests and learning needs.
Information for international students
Please see the university's standard English language requirements on our website.
Qualification and course duration
Course contact details
- Programme Administrator
- +44 (0)1865 488142