Visit the institution website for COVID‑19 updates
The programme is open to all candidates who fulfil at least one of the following conditions:
- hold an approved honours degree (or equivalent) at 2:1 or above in a relevant discipline, and preferably some experience in the field of humanitarian action and peacebuilding or related fields
- hold a relevant recognised diploma and/or certified professional qualification and 3 to 5 years' experience in humanitarian action and peacebuilding or related fields
- have substantial and proven field experience (minimum 10 years) in humanitarian action, peacebuilding and related fields.
In exceptional circumstances, where applicants can show that they have qualifications or experience or both that demonstrate that they have knowledge and capabilities equivalent to those listed above, they may be admitted onto the course.
English language requirements
At least 6.5 in IELTS, with a minimum of 6.0 across all four components of the test.
Months of entry
Our Humanitarian Action and Peacebuilding MA is aimed at practitioners already working in these fields, but also those working in related areas.
We designed and deliver this course jointly with the United Nations Institute for Training and Research (UNITAR). This gives you access to resources and support from both institutions online and in the field through UN missions. We also use the knowledge and expertise of the Centre for Development and Emergency Practice (CENDEP).
A flexible and user-friendly online learning environment enables you to learn from your workplace. During the course you will:
- investigate cutting-edge issues in the field
- propose innovative tools
- reflect on current field practices
- broaden your perceptions
- develop and refine the hard and soft skills needed to work effectively.
You will have support from a team of academic experts and top-ranked practitioners. And field experts for specific topics.
This course is also relevant for practitioners working in other fields interested in exploring opportunities in conflict transformation.
Information for international studentsPathways courses for international and EU students
We offer a range of courses to help you meet the entry requirements for your postgraduate course and also familiarise you with university life in the UK.
Take a Pre-Master's course to develop your subject knowledge, study skills and academic language level in preparation for your master's course.
If you need to improve your English language, we offer pre-sessional English language courses to help you meet the English language requirements of your chosen master’s course.
Fees and funding
Qualification, course duration and attendance options
- part time30 months
- Distance learningis available for this qualification
Course contact details
- +44 (0) 1865 484848