A good degree (2:1 or above, USA GPA 3.1 or above) preferably in a biological science. Other suitable degrees may be considered. If you have overseas qualifications you can check their comparability with the UK equivalent through the UK National Recognition Information Centre (NARIC), who provide an advisory service.
Biodiversity and ecology; or cellular and molecular
Months of entry
Marine biology is an extraordinarily broad and dynamic subject, reflecting the diversity and energy of marine ecosystems and the fantastic array of life they contain, making this a compelling subject to study. Marine processes exert massive influences on the Earth’s climate and the pattern of biogeochemical cycling. Closely linked with the diverse research pursuits of a range of scientists this programme allows you to apply and develop your particular skills in a marine context.
- Study in Plymouth, an internationally renowned city for marine biological research.
- Participate in a specifically designed, topical programme jointly hosted by Plymouth University and the Marine Biological Association (MBA) of the UK.
- Choose between two pathways to suit your research interests, biodiversity and ecology or cellular and molecular biology.
- Benefit from being taught by recognised experts with worldwide links to research organisations and projects.
- Draw on our expertise, working alongside research staff on a personal project.
- Undertake an extensive, original and innovative research project, often in collaboration with MBA Research Fellows, or one of our other partner institutions (Plymouth Marine Laboratory, Sir Alister Hardy Foundation for Ocean Science and the National Marine Aquarium), either in the UK or abroad.
- Excellent training for further research.
- See the benefit from close links with the research community worldwide.
Information for international students
IELTS 6.5 or TOEFL 575 required.
Fees and funding
As part of a new government funded masters loan scheme, masters students who are under the age of 60 can now access a loan of up to £10,000 as a contribution towards the cost of their study.
The loans will be available for both taught and research masters programmes across all disciplines and subject areas (excluding PGCE, PgCert, PgDip, MClinRes or ResM).
Qualification and course duration
Course contact details
- Admissions Office
- +44 (0)1752 585858
- +44 (0)1752 584 540