Bachelors or masters degree in a relevant subject GCSE English at grade C or above or a Level 2 equivalent GCSE maths grade G or above, or a Level 1 equivalent Good information and communications technology (ICT) skills You’ll be required to complete a satisfactory enhanced DBS (formerly CRB) Enhanced Disclosure, register with the Independent Safeguarding Authority and complete a criminal convictions self-declaration form. You must be deemed fit to teach. There is a two-stage interview process for this course. The first stage is conducted by a member of the teaching team, which includes a short presentation that you prepare and deliver and follows the format described in the link below. If successful there will be a second interview with a subject specialist tutor from the placement college.
Months of entry
Do you see yourself teaching in the further education and skills sector? With options to work in FE Colleges, adult and community education, work-based training, offender learning and public sector organisations, our nationally-endorsed qualification helps you develop the required skills, knowledge and professional values. With a large proportion of your time spent on placement, you’ll have the chance to gain a wealth of real world experience preparing you for a fulfilling and rewarding career.
- Receive "excellent support from tutors and mentors and make good progress in developing the skills and attributes to become accomplished teachers"*.
- Put your new knowledge into practice, whilst building your confidence and experience, with a significant proportion of the programme devoted to your placement. You will spend two days a week on placement in a further education and skills setting.
- Benefit from highly qualified tutors with many years’ experience in the further education and skills sector.
- Demonstrate innovation, creativity and enterprise throughout your time on the course and benefit from the way education for sustainable development is embedded in the programme. There is a strong research base across the partnership which underpins these and other developments in the programme.
- Work closely with your fellow trainees, learning together and from one another, with peer-support is an important part of the programme’s philosophy and organisation.
- Take advantage of opportunities to network with potential employers. Follow in the footsteps of many of our trainees and possibly go on to find employment within the organisations you work with during your placement.
- Tailored for applicants who hold a bachelors or masters degree. The Certificate in Education is available to those who do not hold one of these qualifications.
- Take your qualifications to the next level - after completing this course you'll have the option to gain Qualified Teacher Learning and Skills (QTLS) status.
- We have a limited number of placement opportunities in offender learning.
Information for international students
IELTS at level 7 with 7 in all four components or GCSE in English language at grade C or above.
Qualification and course duration
Course contact details