You should have an upper-second class honours degree (2:1), or overseas equivalent, in economics or a related subject. A good basic knowledge of relevant statistical theory and mathematics is also required.
If your first language is not English, you must provide evidence of your English language proficiency - 6.5 IELTS or equivalent is required. International applicants Students from outside of the UK help form a global community here at Queen Mary.
For detailed country specific entry requirements please visit the International section of our website. You can find details on our English language entry requirements on our website. If you do not meet language or scholarly requirements it might be possible for you to undertake a pre-masters or pre-sessional programme that will prepare you for the masters programme. For more information, please contact the Admissions Office.
- Optional pre-semester modules in maths and statistics
- Four compulsory taught modules
One module from
- Applied Econometrics Micro
- Applied Econometrics Macro and Finance
- Three elective modules
- Dissertation (10,000 words)
- 67% Modules
- 33% Dissertation
Months of entry
The MSc in Finance and Econometrics is a specialist degree aimed at providing you with rigorous training and a strong analytical background in finance, financial economics and econometrics. This masters degree is ideal for those who aim to pursue careers as financial economists, quantitative analysts and financial econometricians in the private sector, in the government or in international financial institutions.
Our Finance and Econometrics degree will develop your financial expertise to the highest level.
Unique features of the MSc in Finance and Econometrics are:
- This degree covers all the analytical tools and advanced materials in quantitative asset pricing, econometrics, financial derivatives, and financial econometrics.
- Training in relevant mathematical and statistical methods and how to conduct, assess, and supervise both theoretical and applied research in the field.
- Possibility to continue to MRes study upon successful completion of the MSc, with the option to progress to doctoral study in the School of Economics and Finance.
- 5 scholarships available worth £5,000.
As with all of our masters degrees, MSc Finance and Econometrics offers:
- Invaluable contributions from respected City practitioners and industry experts who also teach students, bringing practical insights in to the classroom by applying theory to real world scenarios.
- A fully integrated careers programme, a dedicated careers consultant, and extensive industry links that aim to maximise your employment prospects.
- An unparalleled set of optional short courses designed to equip you with further practical training and key technical skills that are highly valued in the Financial Sector.
- High rate of employment of our students within six months of graduation.
- State-of-the-art facilities such as a virtual trading floor which provides exclusive access to the latest technology and financial software used in the banking and finance industry, and access to specialised financial and economic databases and software used by economists in finance or in government for data analysis and simulation.
- The opportunity to join QUMMIF – the only Investment Club of its kind, which allows students to trade real money (currently £30,000) in order to obtain relevant, practical work experience in trading and portfolio analysis.
Information for international students
Find out more www.qmul.ac.uk/international-students/
Fees and funding
There are a number of ways you can fund your postgraduate degree.
- Scholarships and bursaries
- Postgraduate loans (UK students)
- Country-specific scholarships for international students
Our Advice and Counselling service offers specialist support on financial issues, which you can access as soon as you apply for a place at Queen Mary. Before you apply, you can access our funding guides and advice on managing your money:
For more information please see here.
Qualification, course duration and attendance options
- full time12 months
- Campus-based learningis available for this qualification
|What kind of work will I be doing? (proportionally)
|Written/ formal examinations
|33 (10000 words)
Course contact details
- School of Economics and Finance
- +44 (0)20 7882 8848