A completed Bachelor's degree in Biology, Medical Biology, Molecular Life Sciences, Microbial Biochemistry or related area
All students must have passed preliminary examinations in the following subjects, containing the subject matter of the following well-known international textbooks (or equivalent literature):
- Experimental skills: 12 EC of practical courses or an experimental Bachelor’s thesis on Microbial Physiology, Microbial Ecology, or Microbial Genetics or Biochemistry
- General microbiology: 6 EC e.g. Brock Biology of Microorganisms (Pearson)
- Biochemistry: 3 EC e.g. Principles of Biochemistry by Nelson, Cox & Lehninger (Macmillan)
- Molecular Biology: 3 EC e.g. Molecular Cell Biology by Lodish et al. (W.H. Freeman)
- Chemistry: 3 EC e.g. Chemistry by McMurry & Fay (Pearson)
- Mathematics, statistics or physics: 3 EC e.g. College Physics by Serway, Faughn & Vuille (Brooks/Cole)
- Basic understanding of the following subjects is required:
- Metagenomics or genomics
A proficiency in English
In order to take part in this programme, you need to have fluency in both written and spoken English. Non-native speakers of English* without a Dutch Bachelor's degree or VWO diploma need one of the following:
- A TOEFL score of ≥575 (paper based) or ≥90 (internet based)
- An IELTS score of ≥6.5
- Cambridge Certificate of Advanced English (CAE) or Certificate of Proficiency in English (CPE) with a mark of C or higher
* Applicants are considered to be a native speaker of English if they are from Australia, Canada (with exception of Quebec), Ireland, New Zealand, Singapore, UK, USA or South Africa.
Please also supply a motivation letter (maximum 2 pages) that includes:
- A short description of your previous education
- An explanation of why you want to take part in this specialisation
- An indication of your future ambitions
Letter of reference
You also need to include at least one letter of reference from an expert in a relevant field, preferably your Bachelor’s thesis advisor.
Would you like to know if you are eligible to be admitted to this programme? Take our E-Check and instantly get an insight in your eligibility.
Months of entry
Radboud University’s Master’s specialisation in Microbiology deals with the interface between fundamental biological and medical sciences. It focuses on molecular, medical and environmental microbiology to improve our health and environment and provides in-depth insight into present-day microbial research in general and clinical microbiology.
What will you learn?
- Learn how microbiology can be used in biotechnology and environmental issues to improve energy-efficiency
- Explore immunology and how microorganisms related to disease and the development of vaccines
- Understand how organisms interact through genomes
- Get valuable experience developing, conducting and presenting your own research
Graduates from this programme can find positions in a variety of different organisations:
- Researcher at universities, research institutes, companies or governmental bodies
- Consultants for governmental agencies or private companies
- Risk analyst
- Policy officer at governmental organisations or NGOs
- Project coordinator in water or ecosystem management
- Communications officer
- Biology teacher
*This is a specialisation of the Master's in Biology
Learn more via the Radboud University contact form.
Fees and funding
There are various scholarships available for studying at Radboud University. Some of the opportunities are described below. A full list, including detailed information, can be found on our scholarships and grants page at our website.
Radboud Scholarship Programme
Open to a select number of excellent international students. Instead of the institutional tuition fees, non-EEA students pay the legal tuition fees (€2,143). Visa and residence permit costs, liability insurance and health insurance are also covered.
Orange Tulip Scholarship
Open to students from Brazil, Mexico, Russia, Indonesia, South-Korea, Vietnam, Thailand, and China. Instead of the institutional tuition fees, non-EEA students pay the legal tuition fees (€2,143). Visa and residence permit costs, liability insurance and health insurance are also covered.
Open to excellent American students. The grant will be paid in 12 monthly instalments of 1,050 euros. International travel and the cost of the residence permit will be covered, and an extra allowance of €1150 will be paid on arrival.
Sino-Dutch Bilateral Exchange Scholarship
Open to excellent students from China. Consists of a contribution of € 16,113 towards the total costs of one year of study or research in the Netherlands.
Aimed at lecturers at higher education institutions in Indonesia who wish to pursue a PhD or Master's at a university in the Netherlands. A DIKTI scholarship includes allowances for living expenses, insurance, travel costs, tuition fees and more.
Indonesian Education Scholarship (LPDP)
Open to excellent Indonesian students under the age of 35. Involves a full scholarship.
Holland Scholarship Programme
Open to excellent students from Canada, America, India and Turkey. Scholarship consists of 5,000 euros payed at the start of study.
Dutch Student Finance
EU/EEA students and Swiss students under 30 years of age are eligible if they are working at least 56 hours per month in the Netherlands, or have been living in the Netherlands for five years or more. Dutch student finance consists of four components: a basic grant, a supplementary grant (depending on the parental income), a student travel product, and a loan.
Qualification, course duration and attendance options
- MSc by research
- full time24 months
- Campus-based learningis available for this qualification
Course contact details
- Study Information