Applicants will normally have either undertaken conservatoire training, have professional acting experience, or have a degree in the broad field of performance and drama studies. Students from other disciplines may be considered if you have sufficient experience of theatre.
Months of entry
Designed primarily for students with previous experience and/or training, the MA Acting - Classical masters programme at Central is a creatively, physically and intellectually demanding, advanced level, conservatoire acting programme specialising in Classical plays.
- Perform in two fully-realised public productions and an industry showcase
- Hone the individual technical craft of the actor, and release your collaborative and imaginative creativity within a small ensemble company (typically 14-16 students)
- Take part in practical group classes in acting, movement and voice, undertaking separate period dance and stage combat training
- Follow the basic structure of ‘intensives’ and ‘studios’ with classes examining particular theatrical forms combined with physical and vocal training, and individual research.
The Classical course follows the development of the theatrical art from its earliest ritual roots to the birth of naturalism:
- Greek Tragedy, Chorus and the Neutral Mask
- Clowning and Commedia dell’arte
- Shakespeare and the English Renaissance
- Stanislavski, the Method and ‘Realist’ Theatre.
The course draws on the hugely influential theories and techniques of the great French acting teacher Michel Saint-Denis, training the expressive body, voice and imagination. Working with some of the greatest dramatic texts ever written, you are asked to consider what they mean now, and how their 21st century reinterpretation and re-imagining still holds a ‘mirror up to nature’.
You are encouraged to understand the demands of both art and craft, as participants in, and practitioners of, the Western theatrical tradition, through a course structure that examines, in chronological order, four key periods of innovation and transition.
Information for international students
Applicants for whom English is not their first language are required to prove their English language proficiency by gaining an overall score of 7.0 in an IELTS test. We do accept equivalent English language qualifications
Qualification and course duration
Course contact details
- +44 (0)20 7722 8183