You should normally have an undergraduate degree in the broad field of performance, drama studies or a design subject, although applications from students of other disciplines (e.g. visual arts, architecture, sonic arts) will be considered. Applications from those with at least two years' relevant experience will also be considered.
Months of entry
Some of the major innovations in performance practices over the past hundred years have been drawn from scenographic developments. The MA/MFA Scenography courses approach scenography from multiple practical and theoretical perspectives to create new opportunities for experimentation and authorship.
- Develop authorship through performance design, working with a dynamic interplay of practice and theory, informed by a variety of disciplines including film, sculpture, sound, digital media, puppetry, choreography and architecture
- A balance of independent and collaborative work
- A professional focus through mentors, tutors and industry partners
Through past and present approaches to performance design, the Scenography courses aim to explore dynamic and innovative interplays between the body, space and time, further informed by a variety of disciplines including film, sculpture, sound, digital media, puppetry, choreography and architecture. Your existing skills and practices are challenged, extended and refined as you investigate design processes and tools for creative developments.
With a balanced mix of collaborative and independent work, and a particular attention to the interplay of practice and theory, the courses include:
- workshops and mentoring to explore speculative and operative uses/misuses of processes and tools, ranging from dramaturgy, model making and technical drawing to audio-visual media, casting, interactive sensor technologies and 3D printing;
- studies in relevant historical and theoretical frameworks and contexts for understanding and developing practice.
Information for international students
Applicants for whom English is not their first language are required to prove their English language proficiency by gaining an overall score of 7.0 in an IELTS test. We do accept equivalent English language qualifications.
Qualification and course duration
Course contact details
- +44 (0)20 7722 8183