Visit the RCA website for application details and full entry requirements.
Our Graduate Diploma Art & Design (pre-master's conversion) course can provide a route to progress to this programme.
Months of entry
Study at the World's number one ranked art and design university for seven consecutive years (2015-2021) in the QS World University Subject Rankings.
The MRes Architecture is part of the RCA's cross-College full-time MRes incorporating students from the fine arts & humanirties, communication and design MRes programmes. It is situated within the School of Architecture so encourages interdisciplinary research projects in collaboration with this and other Schools within the RCA and external partners. The pathway has a strong emphasis on practice-led and experimental research, preparing graduates for diverse careers in academia, architectural and urban design practices, human rights organisations, and social and environmental coalitions.
The MRes Architecture recognises a demand for a new type of graduate and a new type of research training, acknowledging that – in the last decade – architectural practice has become increasingly research-led with a proliferation of industry-based research departments. In the context of large-scale social and environmental concerns, professional innovation and spatial research acquires a profound importance, suggesting new models of collaboration between academic and non-academic institutions. This has led to a growing need for architectural knowledge outside traditional disciplinary domains.
Key features of the programme:
- The only MRes in Architecture offered within a world-leading art and design university, providing knowledge of interdisciplinary research methods within the arts, design, and humanities, delivered across faculties.
- A range of specialisms that focus on the interface of research and practice, supporting the development of research careers in academia and industry-based research groups, as well as working with NGOs and cultural enterprises.
- Development of advanced research skills and support of an individual research project that prepares graduates for further studies at PhD level or careers within an emerging field of practice-led and practice-based research.
- Training in practice-led and practice-based research by working on ‘live’ case studies and projects within the field with respected external partners.
- Students become part of a vibrant research community at the RCA and within London.
Join an RCA online or on-campus open day to find out more about this programme - RCA Open Days.
Fees and funding
Qualification, course duration and attendance options
- full time12 months
- Campus-based learningis available for this qualification
Course contact details
- RCA Student Recruitment