Prospective candidates are likely to be students of architecture with a three+two-year Bachelor and Master’s degree, or Master’s- equivalent five-year Diploma preferably in Architecture, Landscape Architecture, Landscape Urbanism, Urban Design or other related design discipline looking to acquire expertise in large scale, environmental and ecological design projects.
Other backgrounds, such as social sciences, geography, urban studies, planning or econ- omics, will also be considered if prior work is of exceptional merit and students are able to demonstrate their ability to work alongside and contribute to multidisciplinary teams. Evidence of intellectual and professional curiosity and a readiness to engage in a rigorous and demanding period of study is essential.
Months of entry
If the planet has a design problem, what do the terms ‘design’ or ‘architecture’ mean when they are applied to phenomena as varied as oceans or atmospheres, or to farmland and deserts?
The intensity of environmental change calls for new forms of knowledge production based in propositional thinking, especially design-based methods.
Environmental Architecture is a new 15-month, project-based MA programme exploring the future of landscapes, environments and ecosystems. It will focus on the co-dependence of life forms and earth systems as well as the co-existence of alternative concepts of landscapes, environments and ecosystems as they are expressed by different societies.
The programme offers:
- an intensive series of seminars, lectures, workshops and symposia that cultivate new and experimental approaches to the discipline
- a field-focused programme of study
- the opportunity to engage with live projects in sites of rapid and complex environmental change
- help establishing a network of colleagues and mentors in the city of London
- access to a rich culture of radical and experimental interdisciplinary work at the RCA, a world-leading art and design institution
Fees and funding
Learn more at the fees and funding page.
Qualification and course duration
Course contact details
- +44 (0)20 7590 4444