- You are generally expected to have a good undergraduate degree in ceramics or glass or equivalent professional experience.
- Applications are welcomed from candidates from related backgrounds, for example, textiles, sculpture, architecture and industrial design. Work experience, either before or after a first degree, is a great advantage.
- Students are selected on the basis of their talent, ambition and will to succeed as well as for their potential to contribute to the breadth and vitality of the programme.
Applications for the 2020 intake open on 16 September, 2019. Visit the RCA website from this date for details.
Months of entry
Study at the World's number one ranked art and design university for five consecutive years (2015-2019) in the QS World University Subject Rankings.
The spirit of Ceramics & Glass at the RCA springs from a belief in the trans-formative power of material thinking, research and making to enrich our world in imaginative and meaningful ways. We embrace the diversity of contemporary practice in this hyper-material age, and the idea that thinking and making are inseparable and inform one another.
Drawing on the rich provenance of materials, processes and practices to inform a creative interface between discourse and studio practice, we consider, question and propose new scenarios to address social, cultural and material questions.
Our dynamic study environment provides exceptional opportunities to explore the possibilities and perspectives of ceramics and glass within and beyond the traditions of art and design, individual practices and industry. The programme will enable you to expand your imagination, enhance your practice and find your professional voice, supported by outstanding staff, excellent facilities and a peer network who have shaped the programme’s leading research and international standing over many years.
The programme offers:
- individual studio work spaces
- workshops supporting an extensive range of analogue and digital ceramic and glass processes
- regular guest lectures by leading practitioners and professionals
- outstanding technical support by highly skilled specialist staff
- access to specialist facilities and opportunities across the RCA.
Fees and funding
Learn more at the funding page.
Qualification, course duration and attendance options
- full time24 months
- Campus-based learningis available for this qualification
Further details of qualification
Applicants for MPhil and PhD are welcome.
Course contact details