Visit the institution website for COVID‑19 updates
Candidates for all MA courses are assessed on their existing qualities as demonstrated in their work and in their interview, as well as on their potential to benefit from the programme and to achieve MA standards overall. The assessment will consider: creativity, imagination and innovation evident in the work; ability to articulate the intentions of the work; intellectual engagement in relevant areas; appropriate technical skills; overall interview performance, including oral use of English.
Months of entry
Study at the World's number one ranked art and design university for seven consecutive years (2015-2021) in the QS World University Subject Rankings.
The Painting programme approaches the practice of painting as a self-reflexive, critical activity that draws on a wealth of varied historical, material and conceptual accomplishments related to the medium and its objects. The programme aims to provide an expansive and inclusive platform on which to engage with current issues and debates surrounding the challenges and location of painting as a part of contemporary art practice.
The curriculum is designed to develop a student’s individual professional practice, research and orientation in relation to their studio work and how they present that work and their practice professionally to others. Our students are here to reflect upon and play out what kind of artists they want to be, with the ultimate aim of enabling a sustainable and meaningful practice as professional practitioners. The Painting programme is a world leader in research and practice and committed to broadening the understanding of our discipline in all its forms.
The programme offers:
- excellence of teaching by leading practitioners, writers and curators
- dedicated studio spaces
- opportunities for exchanges to international institutions, studio residences abroad, and an annual study trip
- two major exhibitions during the two years in the form of a Work-in-progress Show at the end of the first year, and the Summer Show before graduation
- support and opportunities for teaching/lecturing placements in undergraduate colleges throughout the UK
Fees and funding
Learn more at the funding page.
Qualification, course duration and attendance options
- full time24 months
- Campus-based learningis available for this qualification
Course contact details
- RCA Student Recruitment