- A good degree (mimimum 2:2) in a sports related degree.
- A GCSE grade C (Grade 4) or above in both English Language and Mathematics prior to the start of the course.
- A passion for inspiring the next generation to become physically active.
- Professional Skills tests (QTS tests), enhanced DBS check and Health check before the commencement of the course. ICT literate.
There is an expectation that you will have had some experience of working with secondary age students in a school setting prior to interview.
If you accept a formal offer from Staffordshire University you will be required to meet the Department for Education’s standards for physical and mental fitness to teach and clearance to work with children (Enhanced DBS).
You will be required to demonstrate your knowledge and understanding of a wide range of physical education activities. The selection interview will assess your subject knowledge and personal qualities such as the potential to relate well to secondary age students, enthusiasm, sensitivity, communication skills and robustness and resilience for teaching.
Months of entry
Staffordshire University is a well established institution for teacher training.
The 36-week Physical Education PGCE course is based at the Stoke Campus. It is designed to develop your:
- ability to teach Physical Education to pupils in the 11-19 age range;
- ability to promote a balanced Physical Education programme that inspires the next generation to be physically literate;
- reflections on Physical Education subject knowledge and pedagogy;
University based sessions will enable you to reflect on teaching and learning as well as develop your understanding of how children learn. It will build on your existing expertise in Physical Education and provide you with the opportunity to develop skills, knowledge and understanding of Physical Education in the secondary school context (including how to approach differentiation, assessment and planning for a variety of sports).
Fees and funding
Qualification, course duration and attendance options
- full time9 months
- Campus-based learningis available for this qualification
Course contact details
- Enquiries Team
- +44 (0) 1782 294 400