- have a prescribing budget in place
- meet specific entry requirements set by the NMC (see below)
- be approved by Health Board Prescribing Lead and Clinical Manager
- hold a current criminal identity check to meet specific requirements of their professional body
- have identified an appropriately qualified designated medical practitioner
- demonstrate ability to study at academic Level 7
- recognition of previous learning is not applicable for this programme. Part accreditation of a module, regardless of previous learning or experience, isn't possible
The Nursing and Midwifery Council requires that nurses applying to undertake an independent prescribing programme must:
- have at least three years’ experience as a practising nurse or specialist community public health nurse and be deemed competent by your employer to undertake the programme
- of these three years, the year immediately preceding application to the programme must have been in the clinical field in which you intend to prescribe, e.g. Neonatal, mental health
- part-time workers must have practised for a sufficient period to be deemed competent by their employer
Months of entry
The Postgraduate Certificate in Non-Medical Prescribing aims to prepare nurses and midwives to practice within current non-medical prescribing legislation.
There will be two cohorts per year (subject to final professional body approval), starting in March and September each year. The Spring cohort will run every Wednesday from March to November (No lectures during August) and the Autumn cohort will be taught every Tuesday from September to the following March.
Unfortunately this course is not available to international students.
Information for international students
This course is not available to international students.
Fees and funding
- Applicants may be eligible for funding support
- This programme has the possibility of being funded by the Welsh Government, so the student may not need to pay any fees. Please speak to the programme director or education lead for your area of work for further information.
Qualification and course duration
Course contact details
- Swansea University Postgraduate
- +44 (0)1792 295358