Candidates must hold a Bachelors degree with Honours (to UK standard) of First or Upper Second (2:1) Class , and a Masters degree (to UK standard) with results of 65% or above (or overseas equivalent).
Please note: Due to variations in the grading structures of international institutions, higher results may be required than stated here.
Professional qualifications other than a Bachelors Degree and/or relevant and appropriate experience may be taken into account for entry to a PhD programme.
Months of entry
The Degree of Doctor of Philosophy (PhD) is awarded by the University in recognition of the successful completion of a course of supervised research, the results of which show evidence of originality and independent critical judgement and constitute an addition to knowledge.
Providing robust and systematic research training is a core strength of our PhD programme. To be able to take full advantage of the training opportunities that are offered students should reside in or within commuting distance from Manchester. We strongly encourage any students who do not reside locally to enrol full-time.
Information for international students
Candidates will be exempt from providing an English language test score if they are:
- Native English speaker from one of the following countries; OR
- In the process of completing a degree, or have graduated within the last 5 years, from one of the following countries:
Antigua and Barbuda, Australia, Bahamas, Barbados, Belize, Dominica, Grenada, Guyana, Jamaica, New Zealand, St Kitts and Nevis, St Lucia, St Vincent and the Grenadines, Trinidad & Tobago, UK, USA.
If you do not meet the above criteria, you must demonstrate your English proficiency by taking one of the following tests and achieving the minimum stated score:
- IELTS: 7.0 (with a minimum of 6.0 in each component)
- TOEFL: 100 internet-based or 623 paper-based (with a minimum of 20 in each component - internet based).
- Pearson Test of English Academic (PTE): 66 (with a minimum of 51 in each component)
If you are uncertain if these exemptions apply to you, please contact the Doctoral Programmes Office .
Fees and funding
- University of Manchester President's Doctoral Scholar Awards (PDS Awards) 2018-19
- ESRC North West Social Science DTP (NWSSDTP) PhD Studentships in Alliance Manchester Business School 2018-19
- Research Impact Scholarships in Alliance Manchester Business School 2018-19
- EPSRC Doctoral Training Partnership Studentships in Alliance Manchester Business School 2018-19
- China Scholarship Council - The University of Manchester Joint Scholarship for PhD Study in Alliance Manchester Business School 2017-18
- Alliance Manchester Business School PhD Studentships 2018-19
Qualification and course duration
Course contact details
- Alliance Manchester Business School
- +44 (0)161 275 1200